Anybody have a good (cheap) source for mini-lathe (7x12 Vevor in my case) Cross Slide Gib Screws?

Another common way to secure them where a nut can’t be used ( like on a pulley or gear hub) is to use 2 sort set screws. The first one locks the pulley to the shaft. The second one is screwed tight against the first locking it in place.

I know what you mean.. I think...

I have seen and removed pulleys where a grub screw is inserted and locks down the pulley to the shaft, then a second one is inserted above, in the same bore and tightened down to lock the first grub-screw in place.

If the vevor is anything like the Sieg mini lathes, They use M4 x 14 Allen grub screws or M4x14 SHCS with single lock nuts.

I have replaced all the Gib screws on the mini lathe I am rebuilding due to the "soft" nature of the originals and used "Dog Point" rather than "Cone point" grub allen screws.

Plentyfully available through ebay/amazon/LHS.

I also chose to use square nuts, rather than hex nuts and used TWO nuts, to ensure the nut does not back off. It gaurantees the screws stay set.

When setting the Gib strips, I tighten the set screws, check the motion of the slide, then, with an allen key in the grub screw, I lock the nut. Never have stripped a grub screw doing that, only when I have forgotten to undo the lock-nut first.

The M4 allen grub screws use a 2mm allen/hex key.

@VicHobbyGuy

I did the same thing with mine, as noted in post #14

Another common way to secure them where a nut can’t be used ( like on a pulley or gear hub) is to use 2 sort set screws. The first one locks the pulley to the shaft. The second one is screwed tight against the first locking it in place.

A stock Bridgeport mill does exactly this in several locations. A second, flattened, grub screw backed in to the first to lock it in place.
The mini lathe dovetail gib screw holes aren't really deep enough for this approach sadly.

My lathe is the MX 210V. I swapped the Gib out with one I made of bronze. The one that came with the machine appeared as though it was made to fit another machine. After that I drilled out the existing holes and drilled and tapped them to 10-32. The screws I bought were from Monster Bolts and they were Stainless Steel. I also added two other screws, to even better secure the rigidity of an inherently weak design. Monster Bolts sells on eBay.

I have seen and removed pulleys where a grub screw is inserted and locks down the pulley to the shaft, then a second one is inserted above, in the same bore and tightened down to lock the first grub-screw in place.
I used to do that on parts I made for a custom maker of over priced record turntables. Several of them came back damaged because someone tried to remove the parts after taking out one of the screws and then forcing.

Back