Anybody have a good (cheap) source for mini-lathe (7x12 Vevor in my case) Cross Slide Gib Screws?

Growley Monster

Registered
Registered
I have over the last couple of years managed to break several gib screws on my Vevor. I have been shuffling the intact ones around as needed, using vise grips and ratchet straps and miscellaneous tiny screws, and it is time to fix this right with a whole new batch of screws. I am really terrible at turning threads that small, so I won't even try to make them, especially since my tool post practically waves in the breeze due to lack of gib screws. I figured they would be all over Amazoom and Fleabay but no such luck. LMS always seems like the most expensive place to get tiny parts due to shipping costs. I don't do Ali Baba Express. Hey, I'll do what I gotta do, but I just thought I would ask on here first in case somebody has hit the gibscrew motherlode or knows of a gib screw tree at the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Umm, did you measure them? With calipers, or a micrometer. Pretty easy to figure out what you have. Lots of places sell metric hardware. Even hardware stores have metric. If you don't have calipers, or a micrometer, it might be a good idea to get at least one of them and preferably both. My experience with questionable Chinese screws is to simply replace them with decent quality ones. I usually buy them by the box in the smaller sizes - then I never have to worry about it again. The decent screws pretty much don't fail. The questionable ones are made of some soft junk steel.

So measure them and tell us what the measurements are. Then we can help you find quality replacement parts. Just as a wild guess are they M4 screws? How long? Socket head cap screws, or something else?

They've gotta be a metric size, M4 or M5 probably, but there are several different pitches

They've gotta be a metric size, M4 or M5 probably, but there are several different pitches
I really doubt they'd be anything other than M4 x 0.7 or M5 x 0.8 threads. I don't know how long they are. Beats me how Vevor did the gib screws. Measurements would really help!

Dunno, M4x12 SHCS are $10 for 100 on eBay, including shipping, for "grade 12.9" screws. McMaster has the same box of 100 for maybe $14 plus $9 shipping. I know the McMaster sourced screws are very good and they really are grade 12.9.

$23 seems like a good deal not to have to ever have to worry about crummy screws.

Another option is Belmetric.com They are somewhat local to me, but they have a very good selection of metric hardware. The same M4x12 grade 12.9 pack of 100 would cost $8. Don't know about shipping though. Hard for me to tell without signing up. I've always just called them, and then gone to pick the parts up.

Last edited:
If you don't have thread pitch gauges, get some, then order from McMaster-Carr. Problem perinatally solved.
Some of the Hardware store stuff is questionable as if flea-bay. Having extras on hand is a good idea and they can be designed into things you make.

When I got my 7x14 lathe, I realized I was going to need metric fasteners. I bought a few boxes of 'assorted' metric screws & setscrews. It's nice to have a good selection of different lengths in each size. They are 'all over' Amazon or at 1/2-2/3 the price on AliExpress. The gib screws on my Sieg 7x14 are M4x12 socket setscrews. I replaced the originals with dog-point types, but cone or cup point from an assortment box will work OK depending on the recesses in your gibs. I don't think gib screws on a 7x lathe need to be very high quality; I haven't had a lot of trouble with Chinese hardware. If you manage to snap them, perhaps the gibs need work? Adding extra gib screws can help to even out the pressure on the gibs.

I have thread gauges, but I think these screws are metric. The fit is slightly loose in a 8-36 hole and my python skills make that to be a possible M4 x .7mm pitch. The thing is they do not have a head, only a hex socket broached right into the end of the screw. Sort of a specialty screw. Of course no reason I have to use that. I could also just drill out the holes and put some 10-32 knurled thumbscrews in there, with locking nuts. OMG I HATE metric crap with a passion! I guess I was hoping to find OEM packaged goods so I could claim plausible deniability about the possible metricism of them. Maybe the path of least resistance is McMaster. I will see what they got tomorrow. Now, it's time for my nightly Old Fashioned. Thanks for all replies.

Adding extra gib screws can help to even out the pressure on the gibs.
Hey, now THERE'S a good idea. Eventually I am just going to make a decent cross slide with all adjustifications easier to access. What a PITA to turn the existing one a few degrees for a small taper! Meanwhile I will just soldier on with what I got.

I have thread gauges, but I think these screws are metric.
Sad news: All the fasteners on my 7x lathes have been metric - just like most of the fasteners on newer power tools, appliances, etc...
Get a few 'assortment' boxes from Amazon for a start. BTW, metric fasteners (and taps and dies) are cheaper than equivalent quality items in SAE/inch sizing, in my experience. So, something positive...
BTW, you can use regular socket head M4 machine screws instead of setscrews - they take a bigger Allen key so it's harder to strip the recess.

Back