Amazon Prime Rant(ish)

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
On August 6, I ordered an assortment pack (5ea) of three different grades of Scotch Brite Pads.
Listing says "Sold by Weupe Retail" and "Ships from Amazon".
Free Prime shipping.
Due to past bad experience, I try to avoid items to be shipped from some unknow seller. "Shipped from Amazon" has seemed to turn out better, usually.
The package was delivered August 15 via "UPS MAIL INOVATIONS" with return address "CTI INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY" in Las Vegas. Not Amazon?
That's NINE days to travel about 300 miles to my temporary location in the Los Angeles area.
WTH?

By contrast, on August 13, I ordered five small items from TEMU (first order from them) from China.
Shipping notification for four of the five items received August 15 and Out For Delivery today.
That's 6 days from freeking China (FREE SHIPPING on a total $40.45 order). LOL . . . I hope the stuff isn't complete junk.
The fifth item was also flown from China and tracking says "Customs clearance completed August 17, 07:10 am". Nothing since then. Guessing in USPS for the final leg.

I think I'll call Amazon. LOL

I'd be nearly certain "co-mingled" inventory had some part to play in that.

When it comes to stuff I need to work, I'm done with Amazon, far too many fakes that pass for the real thing on their shelves.

I treat it as a (generally) faster shipping Ali express now.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

I consider anything I order online to arrive as junk and I'm pleasantly surprised when it's not.

Too many things have slid to online shopping IMHO. Too easy to scam customers and deny making it right.

Sadly, it's the way the world is going. Get on board or get left behind......no local stores offer the items I buy (3d printer supplies, machining tools, etc) so I' m stuck ordering online.

no local stores offer the items I buy (3d printer supplies, machining tools, etc) so I' m stuck ordering online.

Isn't this the truth!

I understand of course, no way a store could maintain a brick and mortar place and staff etc overheads and compete.

We used to have Maplin in the UK, which would've been like radio shack in the US I suppose, and for silly bits like resistors and relays, perfect and CHEAP! The staff were also electronics enthusiasts, if not experts. Now even the more hardcore shops like Halfords have gone soft, offering air fresheners instead of carburetors.

With working in the industry, I've found a few local places that supply the industry, but don't sell to the public, an irritating catch 22!

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

I'll buy from them occasionally. But if there's a SNAFU, good luck getting them or one of their chintzy sellers to refund, exchange, or at least say sorry. Prime? Suppose to be nicer...maybe for them.

I think a lot of the no-name sellers don't actually HAVE the item you ordered in stock - They have to get it first, before they can ship it.
A couple times, I've waited a long while for something to ship, only to have them cancel and refund, because they couldn't get it.

Due diligence goes a long way when it comes to buying anything online.
I try to limit my purchases to "Sold by Amazon, Shipped by Amazon." By doing this, it ensures an extremely easy return process. I bring it to a UPS store, show him my QR code on my phone, and done. I don't even need to box it up, although I usually do put it in the original packaging to make it easier for the UPS store. I have never had an issue returning anything.
If Amazon does not sell it, a simple glance on the right side of the screen below the price will tell you the shipping time and return policy for that seller. Amazon has rather stringent requirements for independent sellers to meet customer expectations.
Since Amazon opened two or three distribution centers within 100 miles of me, I can quite frequently get my items the next day with no shipping cost. Caveat: I am a Prime member.

Our experience wih Amazon has been good to excellent. We order an item on line and the next day or two it is sitting on our door step or in our mailbox. And no shipping chsarge. For a $3 item, that is amazing. There have been a number of items from on of their sellers that have authorized taken longer than stated to receive but that is a rare exception. Most items arrive earlier than the estimated delivery date.

I track my shipments from anyone, not just Amazon, and in most cases of relayed shipments, the item has been received by the shipoer and gets lost in their system. Vendors tend to print out a shipping label almost instantly upoeipt of order so the payment gets transferred to their account. When the item is actually handed over to a shipper is a different matter. There are some unscrupulous vendors out there who take advantage of this loophole. Amazon regularly send me requests for feedback on the buying experience and while I have no direct evidence of it, I believe that they use that feedback to manage their vendors.

I think a lot of the no-name sellers don't actually HAVE the item you ordered in stock - They have to get it first, before they can ship it.
A couple times, I've waited a long while for something to ship, only to have them cancel and refund, because they couldn't get it.
Yes. This is one reason I avoid items shipped from third party sellers and choose instead items shipped from Amazon.

In this particular case, I think the 'Shipped from Amazon' is false information. I think the seller is as you described and simply ordered the item from CTI INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY (for a couple dollars less) and had it delivered to me.

So, what I have learned is that "Ships from Amazon" is not reliable information. Scum bags.

Back