All I seem To Do Lately Is Take Things Apart

projectnut

Registered
Registered
As many of you know i purchased a 14" radial arm saw about a year ago. I got it up and running at the family cottage and completed a few projects with it this year. It was time to bring it to the home shop, so some disassembly was required. The machine only weighs about 750 lbs., but it has to be broken down to manageable size pieces to get it through the house and down to the shop. I got it disassembled and transported it home last week. The pieces are now sitting in the garage waiting for space in the shop.

Now that there's enough room to move things around in the garage at the cottage it's time to reinstall the drill press on the bench. Unfortunately, before the garage was rebuilt a mouse got into the main head casting and made a nest next to the spindle. With all the mouse urine and nest makings the spindle became so rusted and corroded it would no longer move in the housing. Last week I had to disassemble the head and attempt to remove the spindle. It was so tight in the bore that I had to use a brass drift to remove it. The pieces are now in the shop and the cleanup should start today. Hopefully all it will take is a little polishing and deburring a couple spots where the drift made some marks on the bearing housing.

Once that's done it's time to make room for the "new" radial arm saw. That will entail disassembling and removing the 10" Dewalt saw to make room. I've moved it to the garage on a number of occasions in the past to complete large projects. This will probably be its last move since it now has a new home just outside Waupaca WI. It's going to a friend to be used to cut newly sawed timber to standard dimensional lengths. He has been using his portable sawmill to cut logs to standard dimensions i.e. 2"x 4", 2"x 6" 2"x 8" etc., etc. To this point the lumber has been left to whatever its original length was for curing. Now that most of the lumber has dried it's time to cut it to length.

Hopefully with all the pictures I've taken I can reassemble all the machines and get back to using them. Below are a few pictures of the disassembled 14" saw in the garage, the drill press spindle in the shop, and the 10" saw waiting to be moved. The fifth picture is a twin of the drill press at the cottage. If my memory goes bad, or the pictures don't make sense, I can always disassemble one more machine to get the proper parts layout and rientation.

Attachments

• IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 27
how does a mouse get in the spindle? man those meese **** me off. I had my air filter box filled on my car.. :crush:

Actually the nest was in the head casting up against the outer spindle housing. The rusted part with the grooves moves up and down in the casting.

The nest material was packed between the grooves in the spindle housing and the splines on the mating shaft.

As for access to the housing there is a large opening in the bottom of the casting that houses a light socket and bulb. There’s more than enough room for a full grown mouse to enter. This is not the first time it’s happened. The last time I caught them before they did any damage. I removed the partial nest an put some moth balls in to discourage them.

Prior to the rebuild the garage the walls were full of holes and access points for critters. Apparently the moth balls were no longer effective and someone setup shop again. This time the drill press was unused for several months while the garage was being rebuilt, allowing the rust and corrosion to accumulate to the point the spindle would no longer move.

The garage is now well sealed so I don’t expect problems in the future

The nests are bad enough, but they love wiring. I don’t know what it is. They even eat the copper. I have even had them eat a fan belt.

how does a mouse get in the spindle? man those meese **** me off. I had my air filter box filled on my car.. :crush:
Mouses is why I put an exhaust filter on my ShopVac a few years ago:

ShopVac Filter.jpeg
It was bad enough that he chewed into a bag of Pistachios, but he found the perfect place to store them away. I found out when I turned on the Vac and wondered what was rattling around inside of it. After spending the better part of a day disassembling the head unit, cleaning it out and reassembling (and figuring out where he got the nuts and cleaning that mess up – my wife has now given up Pistachios), I found the filter at HD: it doesn't put any significant back pressure on the vacuum cuts down on the noise a little and diffuses the exhaust so it doesn't blow anything around anymore.

As many of you know i purchased a 14" radial arm saw about a year ago. I got it up and running at the family cottage and completed a few projects with it this year. It was time to bring it to the home shop, so some disassembly was required. The machine only weighs about 750 lbs., but it has to be broken down to manageable size pieces to get it through the house and down to the shop. I got it disassembled and transported it home last week. The pieces are now sitting in the garage waiting for space in the shop.

Now that there's enough room to move things around in the garage at the cottage it's time to reinstall the drill press on the bench. Unfortunately, before the garage was rebuilt a mouse got into the main head casting and made a nest next to the spindle. With all the mouse urine and nest makings the spindle became so rusted and corroded it would no longer move in the housing. Last week I had to disassemble the head and attempt to remove the spindle. It was so tight in the bore that I had to use a brass drift to remove it. The pieces are now in the shop and the cleanup should start today. Hopefully all it will take is a little polishing and deburring a couple spots where the drift made some marks on the bearing housing.

Once that's done it's time to make room for the "new" radial arm saw. That will entail disassembling and removing the 10" Dewalt saw to make room. I've moved it to the garage on a number of occasions in the past to complete large projects. This will probably be its last move since it now has a new home just outside Waupaca WI. It's going to a friend to be used to cut newly sawed timber to standard dimensional lengths. He has been using his portable sawmill to cut logs to standard dimensions i.e. 2"x 4", 2"x 6" 2"x 8" etc., etc. To this point the lumber has been left to whatever its original length was for curing. Now that most of the lumber has dried it's time to cut it to length.

Hopefully with all the pictures I've taken I can reassemble all the machines and get back to using them. Below are a few pictures of the disassembled 14" saw in the garage, the drill press spindle in the shop, and the 10" saw waiting to be moved. The fifth picture is a twin of the drill press at the cottage. If my memory goes bad, or the pictures don't make sense, I can always disassemble one more machine to get the proper parts layout and rientation.
lol, I was just thinking the same thing. I got **** tore apart all over my garage. Got a surface grinder, magnetic chuck, rotary table, an atlas 7B shaper and my milling machine all broke down right now. Running out of places to put parts

lol, I was just thinking the same thing. I got **** tore apart all over my garage. Got a surface grinder, magnetic chuck, rotary table, an atlas 7B shaper and my milling machine all broke down right now. Running out of places to put parts
I feel your pain... I have two tablesaws in stages of dis/re assembly. Plus an airless paint sprayer waiting on parts. Oh and the shop is being reorg'ed.
What a mess.

I feel your pain... I have two tablesaws in stages of dis/re assembly. Plus an airless paint sprayer waiting on parts. Oh and the shop is being reorg'ed.
What a mess.
Starting to realize that I need more flat tables in my shop for things like this.

What a mess.
I have a terminal case of H.S.S. :D

Sounds like quite a project you’ve got on your hands! I’ve had similar issues with rust on my drill press before, and a little bit of fine steel wool or rust remover did wonders for me. I’m sure you’ll get everything back together and running smoothly in no time.

Back