Air conditioner

I have no idea what the conditions in New York are concerning power availability and sales. In this area the utility companies have convinced enough people to go on their conservation program that they can avoid brownouts while still selling power to other areas
New York is a different animal. When you see a service truck working high on a pole here the first thing you wonder is if you will have power when you get home. When there's a storm you can hear transformers exploding like bombs in the area. Our utilities services are terrible.

HI, look at the condenser to see if it is restricted and make sure the fan is up to speed?
also if the evaporator is restricted sometimes iced up because of not enough air flow it will not cool well, don't assume that there is enough refrigerant in the system.
Rich

In New York, it's called a brown out. They lower the voltage. We had that here in NJ a couple of times. I was at about 100v if I remember correctly.

HI, look at the condenser to see if it is restricted and make sure the fan is up to speed?
also if the evaporator is restricted sometimes iced up because of not enough air flow it will not cool well, don't assume that there is enough refrigerant in the system.
Rich
Hello Rich, the unit is fairly new and always maintained. The unit before was also a good unit, I just replaced it because I didn't want any surprises mid summer. Its nothing new here in Staten Island with the service. We loose power momentarily almost every week. Wake up and al the digital things are flashing and I have to reboot the cable box. Thanks for your reply though. Charlie.

House next door is for sale, Trout Run, Pa.
N of Williamsport, better neighbors than Mtn. Top.
I'm trying to stay under three hours so if necessary I can back to S.I. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep looking.

What is needed is a line voltage recorder/data logger. My father had one for 3 phase which would also work on single phase. Every time the voltage would change (outside of a settable delta) it would print the time and voltage on a roll of thermal paper. I used it many times in my early career to diagnose computer system problems, often in smaller towns.

Many Fluke meters can be set to record voltage max/mins but with no time frame for them.

I assume there are cheaper line voltage recorders/data loggers that can record fluctuations in electronic format these days?

Once you know what your power is doing you can then talk to the electric company intelligently with actual data on your side. Been there, done that. I have actually stabilized computer system by working with the electric company using the data provided by my fathers ancient voltage recorder.

I assume that the AC in question is a central AC system? I gave up on my central AC 12 years ago when I installed my first mini-split system in my house. A mini split AC is designed to be run 24 hours a day and is always on. It scales back how fast is runs to keep a constant temperature instead of constantly cycling off and on. When the room is at the set temperature the mini split runs very slow consuming very little power just maintaining the room temperature. I don't think I could ever be happy with a central AC with their awful efficiency and lousy temperature modulation ever again! Every room in our house is at the temperature the occupants are comfortable with while the electric bill is considerably lower.

Last edited:
Hello Jim, looking over by Mountain top Pa. can't wait to get out of here. I want some of those cool breezes.
Been there as well as Williamsport . Nice area . :)

Back