Air conditioner

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Soooo, I set my thermostat to 78 degrees and the air recycles fine as needed, and the house is comfortable. Then the geniuses in New York cut the power to conserve electricity. Now my air conditioner runs pretty much all day long trying to maintain 78 degrees. Where's the conservation ????????? What am I missing.

A smart thermostat?
I don't understand how that would help if the unit can no longer get the house down to 77 so the unit would shut down until the reaches 79 to recycle. The unit can no longer bring the unit down to 77 so it runs almost all day.

I don't understand how that would help if the unit can no longer get the house down to 77 so the unit would shut down until the reaches 79 to recycle. The unit can no longer bring the unit down to 77 so it runs almost all day.
You misunderstood my question. I am wondering how the electric company is shutting down your AC. I am thinking that the only way they can do it is if you have a smart thermostat. I myself will never hook any appliance to the internet.

On your cooling issue. I think you need a service repairman to pay you a visit. It sounds like your unit is requiring it.

Last edited:
Cut the power to save???

How, lower the voltage?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

In our area the utility companies offer a lower rate to those willing to go on their “conservation” program. The conservation program allows them to install a radio controlled shut off at the AC and other high energy use appliances. They shut off things like the AC and water heater during times of high demand.

Some how it doesn’t seem to make sense to shut off your AC when you need it the most just to save a few pennies

You misunderstood my question. I am wonder how the electric company is shutting down you AC. I am thinking that the only way they can do it is if you have a smart thermostat. I myself will never hook any appliance to the internet.

On your cooling issue. I think you need a service repairman to pay you a visit. It sounds like your unit is requiring it.
The unit is in fine shape/condition. Gas level is correct with no leakage. When there is no cutback in voltage there is no problem. When the voltage is cut the unit is longer able to run at its designed capacity. Now they in effect are controlling my unit with a rheostat.

Cut the power to save???

How, lower the voltage?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Yes and Yes. Here in New York in the summer we are asked to conserve in high heat days to avoid a black out. We do have brown outs also where the voltage is turned back a notch which is what I believe may cause the unit to no longer recycle from the loss of the proper voltage being delivered to the unit.

Last edited:
Shut the power off to the a/c unit. Inside the control box is a capacitor and a sealed timer, check these units. If you are unsure how to test them then ask here. CAUTION a Capacitor can hold a charge for an unknown amount of time again with the power off . Short the capacitor legs together with a screwdriver. Mark for the wires for identification and remove the wires. Test the capacitor. The second small box looks like a sealed relay . If the motor starts up it probably is not the capacitor if it is a lack of cooling it is more than likely the relay.
I bought the capacitor at HF 15.00 and the Relay 22.00 through an Appliance repair supply.
These components are hit hard by the sudden loss of power or sudden return of power.
Safety first. VERIFY power is disconnected and be wary of a low voltage signal present from a low voltage control transformer.
Or just call a repairman...stay cool

Back