Adapting MT tools to R8

There could be some concern about the unbalanced cutting forces experienced with a boring head as opposed to the balanced forces of a drill. Were the boring head shanks tapped for a drawbar? If not, then you should have nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, you can cross drill and pin the boring head shank to the R8 adapter.

Looks like a tang could have been pinned on but the shank has a 3/8NC thread inside. The small one has M6 threads

Buy an MT to R8 adapter and bore the threads out? You might have to make a couple of custom drawbars.

John

I ran all my facing heads with MT to R8 sleeve adapters . Never any issues . Love those little Wolhaupter heads . :encourage:

Thanks for all the help. I think I will fashion some adapters as ChazC suggests. I like the idea that I can hang onto the boring head with a collet as my noobie skills are capable of some crazy chatter likely testing the resolve of any MT fit.

On a side note, the guts of these heads is pure magic. Smooth as glass and the stop/trip mechanism is very accurate. Can’t wait to use them.

Back