210mm swing Electronic Leadscrew lathe now available

Here's a few more pics to complete the 'essay'

• The Sanou 5" chuck is pretty good. A little stiff, but it will loosen up after some use.
  • Nice 1.5" bore - but this will necessitate that you purchase a reducer sleeve unless you happen to have MT5 accessories floating around.
  • The basic add-on accessories are an 8" faceplate, a quick change tool post and a tailstock drill chuck.

The 8" face plate was purchased from the Canadian supplier of these lathes ($60Cdn)

The QC tool post is the standard OXA wedge style available from Amazon or eBay. However, if you want to use any toolholder other than the 4 way tool post supplied with the lathe, you will either have to counterbore the new tool post to fit over the boss on the top-slide (sorry - forgot to take before and after pics) or machine off the boss as I opted to do. There is lot's of 'meat' left for the tool post hold down bolt threads.

I found a nice 5/8" precision MT2 drill chuck on Amazon ($60) which uses a collet type spanner instead of a chuck key. I actually prefer this system.

I suppose my only gripe with the lathe is the layout of the apron, which, because is basically the same as on an Central Machinery 7" lathe - there's not much room between the carriage traverse and cross slide handwheels - and I don't have big hands.

Attachments

• Stock 5in chuck.jpg
    Stock 5in chuck.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 5
  • big 1.5in bore.jpg
    big 1.5in bore.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 5
  • 8in faceplate.jpg
    8in faceplate.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 5
  • modified top slide.jpg
    modified top slide.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 6
  • OXA QC toolpost.jpg
    OXA QC toolpost.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 7
  • tight quarters.jpg
    tight quarters.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Img_2771.jpg
    Img_2771.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 5
Here's a few more pics to complete the 'essay'

• The Sanou 5" chuck is pretty good. A little stiff, but it will loosen up after some use.
  • Nice 1.5" bore - but this will necessitate that you purchase a reducer sleeve unless you happen to have MT5 accessories floating around.
  • The basic add-on accessories are an 8" faceplate, a quick change tool post and a tailstock drill chuck.

The 8" face plate was purchased from the Canadian supplier of these lathes ($60Cdn)

The QC tool post is the standard OXA wedge style available from Amazon or eBay. However, if you want to use any toolholder other than the 4 way tool post supplied with the lathe, you will either have to counterbore the new tool post to fit over the boss on the top-slide (sorry - forgot to take before and after pics) or machine off the boss as I opted to do. There is lot's of 'meat' left for the tool post hold down bolt threads.

I found a nice 5/8" precision MT2 drill chuck on Amazon ($60) which uses a collet type spanner instead of a chuck key. I actually prefer this system.

I suppose my only gripe with the lathe is the layout of the apron, which, because is basically the same as on an Central Machinery 7" lathe - there's not much room between the carriage traverse and cross slide handwheels - and I don't have big hands.
link to the face plate supplier please.
i purchased a MT5 dead center to fit the spindle and a 4 jaw chuck from Vevor
here is my solution to a 4 jaw chuck for the 1.5" spindle lathes
MT5 Dead center
here is my trials and tribulations with a similar lathe (same spindle i believe)
i used the same (or close) QCTP and found that a thrust bearing on top really helps with cranking it down consistently.
your lathe was supplied with a cast iron compound, unlike mine you will still want to do a solid tool post mount, it makes the lathe much more rigid.

Last edited:
link to the face plate supplier please.
i purchased a MT5 dead center to fit the spindle and a 4 jaw chuck from Vevor
here is my solution to a 4 jaw chuck for the 1.5" spindle lathes
MT5 Dead center
here is my trials and tribulations with a similar lathe (same spindle i believe)
i used the same (or close) QCTP and found that a thrust bearing on top really helps with cranking it down consistently.
your lathe was supplied with a cast iron compound, unlike mine you will still want to do a solid tool post mount, it makes the lathe much more rigid.
Here is the link to the amazon listing for the faceplate: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0991QBB3S

On this page you will also find links to their store. I noticed they have put the price up since I bought mine... PS - the canadian supplier was ASC365 on the middle right of listing page.

my MX-600A came in the same crate, i took the screws out at the bottom then lifted the 4 sides with the top still attached to use as a cover later also made getting to the bolts holding it to the base easy.

nice lathe congrats
My crates had the bendable tab-in-slot approach, even on the bottom. I would have needed to flip the crate onto it's front to undo the bottom tabs Murphy's Law says those same bolts that are nigh on impossible to get off normally, would probably strip of pull through with disastrous results. It may be a light lathe, but 137lbs is still heavy....Colour me chicken. Besides, by shop walls needed painting 'blue'...lol

Back