1962 Austin Healy Sprite

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Seems like not much action on the British Cars Forum.

Totally open to anyone who knows another place to discuss these cars but figure I should post it here since we seem to be pretty active with folks from everywhere that are interested in everything.

Pictures:

1720833063746.png

1720833106661.png

1720833168788.png

1720833245696.png

So, my plan so far is to replace the floors, sort the mechanicals, and drive her. I do have the near side front wing and door. The seller may, or may not give me the windshield. But.... Parts are pretty cheap for these and this isn't the first time I've been here (used to own a Triumph TR4 Surrey Top that I pretty much completely restored).

Will be brazing in new floors but the sills and A & B pillars are solid. Just really want a driver to enjoy on sunny days and occasionally take to work.

John

I would think about getting an aftermarket universal wiring harness and installing it. It will save you some serious headaches. Great little cars, but like most classic British stuff, electrical systems were not top of the heap. Mike

Last edited:
I would think about getting an aftermarket universal wiring harness and installing it. It will save you a some serious headaches. Great little cars, but like most classic British stuff, electrical systems were not top of the heap. Mike

Looks like a fun project.

I see the transmission and shifter

Last edited:
That will keep you busy- See u in a few years! LOL arrivedurci, don't forget to write!

My friend had one the same year in the early 80’s. It had a transplanted Datsun 1600cc motor and 5 speed. That car was a blast to drive and ride in.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Very nice! Having another person that enjoys "LBC's" (Little British Cars) is a plus. Timely, too, as I have just purchased a '70 Triumph GT6+ and am finding it has a bit more rust than I was led to believe. So, Have my work to do. I've been pricing replacement body panels - ouch!
I would think about getting an aftermarket universal wiring harness and installing it. It will save you a some serious headaches. Great little cars, but like most classic British stuff, electrical systems were not top of the heap. Mike
I have a aftermarket wiring harness waiting. A left over from my Lotus Europa that I never installed before selling it. The wiring in the Lotus had been 'modified' so much, I basically rewired the existing wiring.

Oh man… love the looks of those cars. But that one looks like a heck of a lot of work ahead.

In for the updates! :)

This is a very active forum on LBCs. https://www.mgexp.com/forum/

Have fun with your project. I am way behind schedule on mine. Here is picture of my 66 midget when I got it.

IMG_3462.JPG

The 69 sprite in the background was bought as a parts car. The body was rusted out beyond repair but the hood, doors, fenders, trunk and a lot of other parts were usable. I have swapped in a Toyota 3tc with a 5 speed. The original engine was frozen solid and the trany case had numerous hole in it from battery acid dripping on it. I am currently replacing all of the wiring. The nice thing about the 3TC is that it is a short stroke big bore engine. So it is not very tall. It fits under the hood (barely) and the pan sump doesn't hang down below the frame crossmembers. I paid $400 total for both cars. Paid more for the 1982 Corolla donor car.

Here are some pictures. I'll roll it out of the garage next week and take some more.

IMG_4004.JPG IMG_3494.JPG IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3506.JPG

Enough pictures for now.

Back