[How-To] Zeroing coarse indicator dial

dml66

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this small hole bore gage used so no manual.

Is there a way to zero the small coarse dial inside the indicator? I'd like it set on 5 so it'd be easier to know how many revolutions are included in the primary dial.

Zero Indicator.jpg

Yes, it moves just fine. I just wish it rested on 5.

Where is it at when you move the indicator to where it is at zero?
I think they are designed that way.
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221111-190222_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221111-190222_eBay.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 9
The indicator is fully extended in the picture, it's at it's rest position. Rotating the outside ring dial is just aligning the rest position with zero, it doesn't move the pointers. I did look at another indicator I have, the coarse dial doesn't read zero at rest either, maybe it's just how it is.

The more I think about it, one is a relative indicator, the other an absolute. I need to reprogram my brain, lol.

Press the plunger in about. 002" and I bet it lines right up to the 5. Then it will make 5 more revolutions and bottom out on travel.
Joe

It lines up at about .003".

I need to recalibrate the way I read the instrument.

It's a rev counter. Doesn't measure any actual dimension. That is a nice one.

The hands are simply pressed on, remove the bezel and glass, gently pop the hand off with a pair of fine screwdrivers and put it back in the position you want.

Thanks all for the help. The entire gage is like a mirror image. Since it's designed to measure hole diameter, the more the stem is pressed in, the smaller the hole, unlike measuring runout. When used as a go no-go type gage, it's easy for me to adapt to. When using it while making a hole to see if I'm close is where I struggled a bit. I'll just use a pin gage to start the hole and reserve this tool for the last thou.

Back