your thoughts on using MT2 ER32 collet chuck in the tailstock.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Do you use an Extended Range chuck such as ER32 with (MT#2/#3 ) in your tailstock? is it in any way a better chuck for tailstock than the conventional drill chuck like Albrecht?
I am thinking of using one in my mini lathe but there isn't much info that I could find about how it would perform, I don't see how it would not be just as good as a drill chuck , i would imagine it would be more time consuming to change bits (compared to a keyless chuck) but other than that is there anything about them that makes an ER chuck an unsuitable tool holding chuck for tailstock?

Do you use an Extended Range chuck such as ER32 with (MT#2/#3 ) in your tailstock? is it in any way a better chuck for tailstock than the conventional drill chuck like Albrecht?
I am thinking of using one in my mini lathe but there isn't much info that I could find about how it would perform, I don't see how it would not be just as good as a drill chuck , i would imagine it would be more time consuming to change bits (compared to a keyless chuck) but other than that is there anything about them that makes an ER chuck an unsuitable tool holding chuck for tailstock?
Probably better accuracy depending on the quality of your drill chuck but like you say, real time consuming.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

ER's are often used for holding endmills in milling machines.
i can't see much of a reason to doubt it would work in a tailstock.
have fun with it!

i wish i had some Albrecht chucks.
sadly i have their clones from shars, they seem to work ok

Last edited:
ER's are often used for holding endmills im milling machines.
i can't see much of a reason to doubt it would work in a tailstock.
have fun with it!

i wish i had some Albrecht chucks.
sadly i have their clones from shars, they seem to work ok
The albrecht chuck that I use in my lathe is old and the jaws are probably too worn out , maybe that's why I find it a PITA to use in tailstock, if I need to use a drill bit anything over 1/4" , I usually go with the keyed chuck so I can crank the key in 2 spot, the ER 32 collets should clamp much better and as mentioned above more accurately than the conventional chuck .

Last edited:
There is no doubt that an ER system holds a drill more securely and maybe more rigidly. But, if you consider something like drilling a 1/2 hole in a rod, you may start out with a center drill, then use a 1/4" or 3/8" and finish with a 1/2". If you want to square the hole base, then you drop in an end mill or switch to a boring bar if enlarging. If you had to do that with a collet system it would be very laborious. Collets need to be clean and dry, difficult when your hands get messy when using the lathe. A good key or keyless chuck is much quicker. I use a precision Z-Live keyless 5/8" MT3 chuck in my tailstock and have not found it to be limiting as to accuracy or holding ability. A friend of mine has the Shar's nickle plated version, it is very nice. If you buy a better precision keyless chuck, they work very well and I have not had an issue with releasing a drill. What they do not work as well with is power tapping going in and out of a work piece. I do have a MT3 ER40 setup that I use for larger drills and end mills in the tailstock, but beyond 1/2" I use dedicated MT drills in the tailstock. Cost wise a decent ER MT chuck will be similar to a good MT keyless chuck. I think they all have their place, but I can be turning ten widgets which require 6 different drilling sequences each, if using collet system for the tailstock it would be impractical. Even iusing a keyed chuck is a pain. YMMV.

I have two of them set up holding geometric die heads in the tailstock. A ER-25 and ER-32. So far good deal.

I don't recommend using it in a situation where you are constantly changing drill bits, reamers, etc. out.

I might add, you could set up several with common tools you use on the lathe. Of course I do the same with drill chucks, and also have a tailstock turret, too.

I have ER25, ER32 and ER40, initially purchased for the mill but now permanently with the lathe. Their main use is for things my chucks won't or shouldn't hold well including die heads and roller boxes but it's always handy to have an extra holder.

I have ER25, ER32 and ER40, initially purchased for the mill but now permanently with the lathe. Their main use is for things my chucks won't or shouldn't hold well including die heads and roller boxes but it's always handy to have an extra holder.
It's good to know that no one so far mentioned any problem with MT shank slippage , since ER collets do a great job at clamping on the tools bits/dies etc, I was worried there might be a greater chance that the morse taper shaft might slip in the tailstock quill .
Thank you all for your comments so far.

Back