Your dream machines...

No point in me wanting a bigger lathe and a decent mill As I have no where to put them. What I really want is a bigger workshop, then I can dream of what to put in it.

I have a detached 3 car garage, or carriage house, or walled in carport, or something, that is just filled up. I have a Darex sharpener, a B&S surface grinder, and the cutest little horizontal mill that I have to share with a friend in his shop. So my dream machines would be what I have, but all under one roof. Now that would be sweet.

Have to admit, there is a Mori Seiki about 25 miles away...talked to the seller, it’s a little bit of a project lathe, and when I compared it to the Takisawa, they are really pretty similar in design, but the Mori is just a bit longer. Oh oh, see above. I passed.

I wish I still had the 18" Springfield lathe I had in "89". What a work horse!

In my dreams I would really like to know how to use what I already have instead of just being a hack. It's not the machine that counts. It is the skill of the person using it.

I had a couple of those Regals .All were servo shifts , they were very nice lathes . All in all , I would take my Colchester back , just my opinion . The Regals were a little bit short on the bed length , but damn they were good .
Dave,
You've been in the business a long time. Could you please explain why you choose the Clausing Colchester 15 over some of the other choices. I don't have any other experience with lathes except a South Bend 13. My Colchester 15 is a dream machine compared to the old SB.

Back