You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when....

When bringing home an old machine feels like you just won the lotto! Even when it needs some work.:whistle:

You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when your 5 year old daughter comes to you to fix a toy knowing that you will do it.

when your wife threaten to divorce you if you don't spend some time with her instead of your machines.

When you spend 8 hours a day working with Metal hoping for the day to end so you can go home and work with metal.

When you turn on a machine put in a piece of metal and just make chips for no reason. ( Oh yeah I'm the only one that does that)

- - - Updated - - -

When youre walking through a store and look at everything and think to yourself that "I can make that better than they did, for less money and better quality". As a former welder, I look at every weld I come across and marvel at what they are getting away with calling welded. My wife hates taking me to flea markets and garage sales because I always buy something I dont :"nned" to fix up and never resell. Yup, I am definately a pack rat errrr. Hobby Machinist...
Bob

Guilty I am always looking at stairs and hand rails.

When you use searchtempest to search craigslist in every city within 2000 miles for that killer deal on an old manual machine tool. Then get so excited about a find that you actually contact the guy selling the tool even though he and it are 1600 miles away.

Also when you buy an old manual machine tool even while your shop is a burned out shell knowing that you'll have to store the machine in your barn until the new shop gets built.

When you take stock of your machinery and tooling and are shocked that the list is so long yet you still find stuff for sale that you "need".

When you're depressed about losing that 24" Vernac scale which is 40 years obsolete but which you know you'll never be able to replace.

When you come out of the fast food restaurant to find
6 total strangers standing around you trailer admiring your latest 2200 pound toy!
It was my 16”/24” x 120” South Bend

When leaning over your lathe, you look at your watch and you see it's 2:00 in the morning, and you're going to have to go to work in four hours.

You drive for 1.5 hrs on Saturday to a machine liquaditor just to look at a few old dusty dark and dirty warehouses full of greasy old dirty manual machines. And you can't imagine doing anything else better. You leave with a hand full of cutters, a beefy old flycutter and other trinkets... and you can't wait for the next trip :))

Rich

How about when you start another project only to think about the other 20 you have on the go.
" Dam I really need to get those others finished. "

And rearranging your whole shop cuz you found that freebie cool cabinet to store more tools in !

Last edited:
You find a "new" junk tool store and give your wife whiplash turning around.......she understands.

The reason you married her is she has the best collection of tools of any girl you ever met.

You get two sensitive drill arbors and buy two high $$$ chucks so you can drill #80 holes,not that you have ever needed one.

You have two drill presses,four lathes, two shapers and four drill sharpeners...and you would buy another if the price was right.

When you have a shop filled to overflowing with rather expensive machinery and tooling and the only people you'll do work for in it are friends you wouldn't dream of charging money.

Back