Yet Another Project - Techno 9x20 Cnc Lathe

That would probably do the trick, just for comparison the prototrak k4 mill, which is the big knee mill, it's got 1000 lbs on the bridgeport, it uses 280oz servos, but also has a 2.75:1 drive, so that's 770inoz at the screws, it uses DC servos

That would probably do the trick, just for comparison the prototrak k4 mill, which is the big knee mill, it's got 1000 lbs on the bridgeport, it uses 280oz servos, but also has a 2.75:1 drive, so that's 770inoz at the screws, it uses DC servos

This one had 50 oz-in servos in direct drive. I guess servo torque is different from stepper torque.

Well I gathered from your earlier posts that you didn't really read the Mach manual, so my guess is you don't have your ports and pins setup right, which is imperative to get a response from the motors.

so I sold all that crap and bought servos, I'll never buy another stepper setup for a machine tool, IMO they are OK for simple automation, I know tons of people use them on machine tools, because they are cheap. Another great thing about my servos is that they are silent.... and they never get even warm
I know this is a debate in some circles, but it seems much of the debate is between theorists and not so much between those that have been down the road.
Someone's experience goes a very long way with me. This is a prime example.

Wrat.

Well I gathered from your earlier posts that you didn't really read the Mach manual, so my guess is you don't have your ports and pins setup right, which is imperative to get a response from the motors.

That's true, I did not have the setup tutorial at the time. I did read it last night.
Maybe I'll tackle that this week while I wait for parts to come in for my other projects

Wrat, I'm failing to see what you are implying, are you saying that what I've been saying is theory? I have been down the road, check my build log. Or are you talking about AR1911?

And to you AR1911, get on to reading that manual, if you have questions ask, I'd be more than willing to help answer any questions you have regarding getting your setup running, as would most of the others here.

Wrat, I'm failing to see what you are implying, are you saying that what I've been saying is theory? I have been down the road, check my build log. Or are you talking about AR1911?
I wasn't implying anything negative. No need to get on your hind legs. I wasn't quoting or addressing AR1911, as it was your quote from message #19.

I was simply giving you some kudos, in my own clumsy way, I guess, for taking a definitive stand on the servo/stepper choice. But mostly some props from the decision being ensconced in experience rather than theory.

Sometimes that choice has been an issue of debate. Sometimes that debate has been among theorists (those who have not done anything) rather than those with experience (like yourself). Thusly, this:
Someone's experience goes a very long way with me. This is a prime example.
is a compliment, not an indictment.

Whew! Hope that cleared up something.

Wrat.

Back