Yet Another Project - Techno 9x20 Cnc Lathe

I think I have 700 into 2 drives and motors, used from ebay. I have to agree with rdean, I absolutely love my allen bradley components, it doesn't stop at the servos and drives, I use a 24v power supply and relay cards from them, as well as master control relay, PLC type components. If it's industrial electronics I prefer my A-B, my board is the C62 from cnc4pc, it's the 24v board, dual port. I went with 5 hat one because of ease of integration with A-B components being they are all 24v.

Lol well it sound like you need to do some studying bud. I've been studying diy cnc for the last 2 years, I bought a bunch of stuff to build a machine from scratch, steppers and stepper drives, I then sold all that except my linear rails and screws, studied mor and more and bought components for my knee mill, going servos this time, I've always liked Allen Bradley stuff, and found super deals on the components. But I'll say that I studied the manuals over and over, and over some more, and when it came time to power things up It was seamless, I was cutting parts that day, wishing I would have spent more time learning the cam program I bought 2 years ago. The only hiccup I had was electronic gearing, I asked on another forum how to use it, then it suddenly clicked before I got an answer. Basically my setup with the mechanical 3:1 drive ratio, and 2000 line encoders (quadrature count is 8000/rev) with a 5tpi screw, it was 120,000 steps per inch, very high step resolution but slooooow rapids. So in the drive I could make it to where every step pulse coming in was 2 steps going out to the motor, I think I did a 3:1 electronic gearing and got my rapid speed up to 100ipm with a resolution of around half a tenth or smaller.

Have you gotten a cnc machine up and running yet?

Where can I find for info on these drives?

My Google-Fu fails me.IMG_6614.JPG

Have you gotten a cnc machine up and running yet?

Actually, no, so I have a bit of a psychological barrier there.
I have a small mill that I completed the conversion on, but I went on to other projects before I worked out how to make it actually run.

Well, still nothing on the servos. I checked with Gekko and they had no info either.
So I'm just going to go with the G540 al-in-one solution with some steppers. I just need to figure out which steppers to buy, and from whom.
I am leaning toward the Hybrid steppers from Automated Technology.

I would definitely focus some energy on getting your mill running.
I bought at one time the g540 and 570oz steppers from automation tech, they worked, but while tuning the motors it blew a drive...lame. so I sold all that crap and bought servos, I'll never buy another stepper setup for a machine tool, IMO they are OK for simple automation, I know tons of people use them on machine tools, because they are cheap. Another great thing about my servos is that they are silent.... and they never get even warm

Back