Yesssss New (to Me) Southbend Model A 9"

Congrats Rocco.
New equipment is always an exciting time.
-brino

Congrats - know how you feel. I love it when new gear comes home!
John

Remember the headstock is a lot heavier than the tail end. I took mine in two pieces the lathe and bench with motor assembly on bench and unloaded it myself. Took the bench off then slid the lathe onto the bench after jacking up the truck until even. That worked like a charm since nobody was around to help at that time. Any weight that you can take off will make it lighter if that is a option. Most of us tear it apart to replace felts and paint before using to make sure everything is getting oil and in good shape.
Paul

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. I thought about the tie down on the spindle after the fact of course. I was in a rush to get out of there before the guy changed his mind with the price lol. As far as goodies that came with it, like I said I got a killer deal on it and the guy was hesitant to give me any accessories with it and for the price I was completely fine with that haha. Gotta get a quick change tool post and a drill chuck for the tail stock and some nice cutting bits.

Im pretty mechanically inclined but I am a little intimidated with taking this lathe apart. I would love to take it apart and clean it and change the felt and what not, but im nervous. Is it terribly hard to take it apart and get it back together? Also does everyone actually use the recommended southbend oils? I just used to use motor oil on my little mini craftsman lathe. I almost don't want to take it apart as its a "if it aint broke don't fix it" type of thing.

Its coming off the truck tonight so as promised ill have some better in "shop" pics of it for you gents

Looks like a nice lathe. If the seller still has the accessories, you might want to contact him and see if he will make you a deal on all of them. Buying the lathe is usually the cheapest part of the equation. It's buying all the accessory items that will cost you.

I thought about that actually. I want a quick change tool post but the lathe came with a 4 way swivel post on it, definitely the wrong name so excuse me. Right now I'm going to concentrate on getting it cleaned up and oiled. As promised here are the pictures

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks guys. I just ordered a new belt for it, some southbend recommended oil and that tailstock chuck, Thank you Lucknowken!

Rocco,

I suggest you get the felt kit that comes with the refurbish book for your model lathe and do a full tear-down, paint strip and new paint. I totally disassembled my model C and repainted it. It is not too difficult and if you are mechanically inclined enough to to use a lathe, you can do the refurbish. You will need to buy a couple special tools too: a spanner wrench ($40) , a big flat-head screwdriver with a chunk ground out of the middle ($10 or so) and you will also need a small arbor press (HF - $45). SBs are really well built and you will learn a lot during the process. Definitely repaint it (don't worry about matching the color to factory specs.) Use a good quality paint and choose a color that looks good to you - it will really feel like your machine when you are done. Nice find and enjoy!

Back