Yamabond sealed motorcycle cases

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
Hello Forum
Anybody out there have experience with splitting cases assembled with Yamabond? An inquiring mind would like to hear of your technique
Thanks

I ride an FJR and while I haven't had to split the cases I have pulled the cam cover and side covers to do valve clearance checks. The cam cover is sealed with Yamabond. I. didn't have any trouble getting the covers to release....just a few taps with a plastic mallet and it popped loose. Are you having difficulties? 0AA3CCC5-7782-470D-8E8F-6CF263FFB5AB.jpeg

I didn't have any issues removing the cam cover on my Rhino... like jcp said, a couple of taps and it popped loose.

-Bear

Hi Guys
Thanks for responding.
This sheet is stupid strong and yes, I am having difficulties. British motorcycle case this time. I avoid the application of brute force method on cast aluminum. With that I'm leaning towards a multi prong approach where the forces required for separation are distributed over an area as follows;
Some heat, case puller, a machinist jack in the case and love taps using a rubber mallet. Possibly apply acetone to seams.
Cant think of anything else.

Modern transaxles and such are gasketless with sealer. Normally there is a spot cast into each case half that is meant to be used for separating the two. Use two angled prybar/screwdrivers back to back inserted in the the gap between these lugs, then squeeze the handles together.

Some cases have dowel pins for alignment, this makes splitting them somewhat of a challenge. I have had luck with plastic wedges to start them moving apart in a straight line.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Agree with navy chief, yamabond itself doesnt cause problems. Its usually the dowel(mainly hollow dowls on the bike I have worked on) that cause issues. I use UHMW wedges made from scraps and I high powered heat gun (to heat the case)

Ah yes, and give it a wedgie with heat. I want to spread the forces of separation symetrically and over a wide area.
Thanks for responding!

Attachments

• Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Success! Thanks guys
Can you update me on any specifics that helped separate the cases? I have read the above posts after running into the same problem today. The right side gearbox cover on a 1970 Triumph is glued down shut. It is a beautifully restored bike, and there are no lugs or projects on the cover to tap on. The joke is that just this morning I told a man 'you can take apart anything with heat, vibration, and patience.' Look what the hubris brought me!
Rick

Back