• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Y Axis Power-feed For A Benchtop Mill

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Dan_S

Active User
Anyone set up a y axis powerfeed for a pm-932, pm-45, pm-940 etc, if so what did you do/use?

After all the cranking I did in my last project, I'm thinking this might be a good investment to save me time/hand cramps. :D

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hey Dan,

Does the Y-axis handwheel and bearing plate extend off the front of your stand? Reason I ask is because when I had the 12z, mine did (not counting the chip tray), and I was seriously considering buying a standard Y-axis PF for a knee mill and making a custom front plate/bearing carrier and shaft extension if needed. But as you know, other events happened that eliminated the need for this project, i.e., bought a new PM935, so I never got past the planning stage.

But I was pretty certain that I could make one work. Now if the Y-axis handwheel doesn't extend beyond the mill's base, then this scenario won't work.

Just a suggestion. :)

Last edited:

Dan_S

Active User
Yea, mine does you can see it in these photos, the handwheel is out past the chip tray even.

coolidge

Active User
I purchased a 2nd power feed for my Y before thinking this through, in the end I decided while it was possible it would require more engineering and fab than I wanted to mess with.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Dan, Charles is right in that this would take a bit of thinking/engineering and fab, but I don't think it would be that hard once you get into it. From the pics I would say it's definitely worth looking into.

EDIT: Look at it this way. Once you figure out all the details you could offer your services to others with these machines and maybe get a bit of walking around money for your efforts. ;)

Dan_S

Active User
I know it would be work, my main concern would be making sure I don't loose any travel. I might have to email Matt, and see what he has to say as well.

I found a video series of James Kilroy's and he did something similar.

navav2002

Iron
Registered Member
I am planning a Y axis power feed for my 932. Searching eBay for "Y axis power feed" will yeild several results of kits that you shouldn't have to modify very much as they come with the Y axis components. They appear to be different than the X axis kits.

Last edited:

navav2002

Iron
Registered Member
Looking at things a little more closley, I'm thinking which ever kit you start with you will need to do some modification....It may be easier to start with the x-axis kit so you get the mounting plate??

I was planning on ordering one of the aSong kits next week and giving this a shot...

navav2002

Iron
Registered Member
I'm finally getting around to installing my Y axis power feed!! As with any project like this there are several ways to "get there", I thought I'd share what I've come up with, hopefully it will give you some ideas on how to proceed. I don't think there is a true "bolt on" kit available that will fit the benchtop mills, every kit I've seen will need some sort of modification as they are really designed for knee mill instillation. I am not done yet (am waiting on a part) but I will show you what I have thus far:

I made a stand off and a spacer to clear the drip tray on my machine.
DSC_1214.JPG

The spacer replaces this factory part.
DSC_1215.JPG

I also extended the shaft.
DSC_1217.JPG

So it looks something like this:
DSC_1224.JPG

DSC_1225.JPG

DSC_1231.JPG

I bought the wrong power feed...This one is designed to be mounted horizontally (that's why the top is chopped off rather than rounded}. Don't get this one, get the one designed to be mounted vertically... :)

I will post more when I'm finished...

Last edited:

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Nice! Yea, when I saw the last picture, I was like 'oh no, that's for the x-axis!' but then realized that you had it figured out already. You could always fab a small cover to protect the gear from chips and whatnot. :)

burtonbr

Active User
That's very clean looking install I bet your going to enjoy it..

Last edited:

WHKAMP

Iron
Registered Member
Thanks to all for the nice comments. A few more details on my Y axis install. The calibrated dial is from the junk box but was from an old Bridgeport, these are available on Ebay. The hand wheel handle folds up, I could see possible bodily injury with the OEM Y axis crank handle spinning around! These are available from Grizzly and others.

Installing the drive is one effort, rigging up the limit switches another. The picture shows how I did it. The micro switches need to be swapped one side to the other which can be done without disturbing the wiring.

Attachments

navav2002

Iron
Registered Member
My parts came in so I got to make some progress on my Y axis power feed. I still have to install the limit switch but other than that I am up and running. I really love this mod!! It makes life so much more enjoyable and gives you a better finish to boot!!

Here are a couple more pics:

I cut a keyway slot and pinned my shaft extension:
1.JPG

I also modded the bevel gear to accept my handle:
2.JPG

I made an alumnium cover since I had bought an X axis power feed...It's kinda nice as I was able to gain a little more travel by milling the cover in this fashion...
3.JPG

4.JPG

Last edited:

Dan_S

Active User
My parts came in so I got to make some progress on my Y axis power feed. I still have to install the limit switch but other than that I am up and running. I really love this mod!! It makes life so much more enjoyable and gives you a better finish to boot!!
Excellent work, when I get settled into the new shop i will have to add this to my project list.

navav2002

Iron
Registered Member
Thanks Dan..

Whkamp makes a very valid point above...You need a folding handle for sure!! It's very uncomfortable having that meat cleaver spinning around your groinal region...

I will probably change the handle to a folding version or remove it all together...I doubt I will ever use the handle, the power feed is controlable even for finite adjustments...I never use my X axis handle either...

WHKAMP

Iron
Registered Member
Very nice work, the mod to the bevel gear housing a great idea. For those contemplating the Y axis motor add, the top of the bevel gear housing is higher than the bottom of the table and this limits the table travel unless a work around is implemented.

5 7