Y Axis Power-feed For A Benchtop Mill

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
Anyone set up a y axis powerfeed for a pm-932, pm-45, pm-940 etc, if so what did you do/use?

After all the cranking I did in my last project, I'm thinking this might be a good investment to save me time/hand cramps. :D

Hey Dan,

Does the Y-axis handwheel and bearing plate extend off the front of your stand? Reason I ask is because when I had the 12z, mine did (not counting the chip tray), and I was seriously considering buying a standard Y-axis PF for a knee mill and making a custom front plate/bearing carrier and shaft extension if needed. But as you know, other events happened that eliminated the need for this project, i.e., bought a new PM935, so I never got past the planning stage.

But I was pretty certain that I could make one work. Now if the Y-axis handwheel doesn't extend beyond the mill's base, then this scenario won't work.

Just a suggestion. :)

Last edited:
I purchased a 2nd power feed for my Y before thinking this through, in the end I decided while it was possible it would require more engineering and fab than I wanted to mess with.

Dan, Charles is right in that this would take a bit of thinking/engineering and fab, but I don't think it would be that hard once you get into it. From the pics I would say it's definitely worth looking into.

EDIT: Look at it this way. Once you figure out all the details you could offer your services to others with these machines and maybe get a bit of walking around money for your efforts. ;)

I know it would be work, my main concern would be making sure I don't loose any travel. I might have to email Matt, and see what he has to say as well.

I found a video series of James Kilroy's and he did something similar.

I am planning a Y axis power feed for my 932. Searching eBay for "Y axis power feed" will yeild several results of kits that you shouldn't have to modify very much as they come with the Y axis components. They appear to be different than the X axis kits.

Last edited:
Looking at things a little more closley, I'm thinking which ever kit you start with you will need to do some modification....It may be easier to start with the x-axis kit so you get the mounting plate??

I was planning on ordering one of the aSong kits next week and giving this a shot...

I'm finally getting around to installing my Y axis power feed!! As with any project like this there are several ways to "get there", I thought I'd share what I've come up with, hopefully it will give you some ideas on how to proceed. I don't think there is a true "bolt on" kit available that will fit the benchtop mills, every kit I've seen will need some sort of modification as they are really designed for knee mill instillation. I am not done yet (am waiting on a part) but I will show you what I have thus far:

I made a stand off and a spacer to clear the drip tray on my machine.
DSC_1214.JPG

The spacer replaces this factory part.
DSC_1215.JPG

I also extended the shaft.
DSC_1217.JPG

So it looks something like this:
DSC_1224.JPG

DSC_1225.JPG

DSC_1231.JPG

I bought the wrong power feed...This one is designed to be mounted horizontally (that's why the top is chopped off rather than rounded}. Don't get this one, get the one designed to be mounted vertically... :)

I will post more when I'm finished...

Last edited:
Nice! Yea, when I saw the last picture, I was like 'oh no, that's for the x-axis!' but then realized that you had it figured out already. You could always fab a small cover to protect the gear from chips and whatnot. :)

Back