Y AXIS FINISH FEED ???

aRM, "cause its given me nighmares"? I guess so. I studied those pics, I am lost. That face plate looks
like a new car dash. Why these rabbits, turtles, aladin lamps arrows - why cant they just speak in
real time. Confused first I thought you could not slow down the Y feed maybe for facing or X feed or
both. Boy with all that grafics I would think it would do miricles. My war babies do anthing I want,
boy I have a generation gap. I just imagine that, I have another lathe with its plate written in plain
ole 8th grade english that is capable of both x&Y feeds going at the same time in either direction I
desire. If this was Mfg. now just imagine grafics it would have , so comlicated. Just my thoughts.

If you read above, he was engaging the leadscrew thinking it was just the standard feed. Plus the fact that I don't think her is what I want to say "real" proficient in running the lathe, Then too, he is from another country, so with all combined, it can be confusing to a seasoned machinist. Myself, as many different machines I have ran or been around all my life, from gigantic Cinncinnati's, to little speed lathes, to manual Bridgeports to running CNC's, I can usually jump in them and go. I was confused myself when I first starting reading ARM's post, and his lathe is also one I have never saw before. On the lathes we had at work, our leadscrews would always disengage. My JET is the first Chinese lathe I have ever ran, so even I didn't know about the leadscrew turning until yesterday. :drink:

It's not impossible that the leadscrew turns all the time, but it would be the first lathe I have seen set up that way. Your Jet, Kevin, would be the second I have heard of. Of course, there are more choices in the feed than in the thread, so I would have to wonder why the gearbox was constructed to run the leaddscrew at pitches no one could use.

I need to go back and have another look at the pictures of the charts and see if there is a feed with no corresponding thread pitch given. The last small lathe I owned was an Enco, 1983 vintage, and that's as close as I can get to this one in person. It had a leadscrew that did not run unless you were in all the settings that were used for the common thread pitches.

It's not impossible that the leadscrew turns all the time, but it would be the first lathe I have seen set up that way. Your Jet, Kevin, would be the second I have heard of. Of course, there are more choices in the feed than in the thread, so I would have to wonder why the gearbox was constructed to run the leaddscrew at pitches no one could use.

I need to go back and have another look at the pictures of the charts and see if there is a feed with no corresponding thread pitch given. The last small lathe I owned was an Enco, 1983 vintage, and that's as close as I can get to this one in person. It had a leadscrew that did not run unless you were in all the settings that were used for the common thread pitches.

Tony....I'm not out in the shop right now, but when I get out there I'll snap a pic or two of the JET. Like I said, after looking yesterday I was curious as to my lathe and went and turned it on and the leadscrew was turning. I'll look at my lever settings, and no doubt it would probably cut some sort of bastard thread. I've threaded on it, I've changed the speeds on it, and I've cut on it, and thinking about it, I don't think the leadscrew has never not turned. I'll also look in the manual.

leadscrew that did not run unless you were in all the settings that were used for the common thread pitches.

Exactly Tony thats what i had in mind. Then when set, I simply use the clutch. My confusion was that
his chart looks like chicken tracks. Guess Im thinking SB so simple somthing old guys understand.
Im also on Kevens page , Im still one to figure things out till I know whats what, then read the
instructions.

Wow...This is kind of screwy. I looked in my book on the JET lathe, and I read the manual. One section says to use the knob and lever to activate the leadscrew or feed rod. So I turn a knob and the feed rod stops, but the leadscrew still is turning. I moved the lever as the manual shows, and the leadscrew still rotates, until I hit one position. The leadscrew stops. All other positions of the lever lets the leadscrew turn. So I look at the chart and it is split into two sections. Threading and your standard feed. To thread, I HAVE to turn off the feed rod. But to feed, I really don't have to turn of the leadscrew. And the manual doesn't spell it out. The only things that spell it out is the small chart on the lathe. I'll try to get a good pic of it.

scan0001.jpg

scan0001.jpg

ARM....to the left of the lathe name, what are all the symbols behind the levers? or what is behind them the way this picture is taken? Also, to the right of the Kill button, the large red button, what happens when you push the black button that has a green circle with a "T" inside of it? I understand the feeds and speeds on your lathe, but like mine, you have one lever I bet that shuts the feed rod off and one lever to turn the leadscrew off. I'm thinking the lever to the left of the name has something to do with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54622&d=1370112958&thumb=1.jpg

aRM, "cause its given me nighmares"? I guess so. I studied those pics, I am lost. That face plate looks
like a new car dash. Why these rabbits, turtles, aladin lamps arrows - why cant they just speak in
real time. Confused first I thought you could not slow down the Y feed maybe for facing or X feed or
both. Boy with all that grafics I would think it would do miricles. My war babies do anthing I want,
boy I have a generation gap. I just imagine that, I have another lathe with its plate written in plain
ole 8th grade english that is capable of both x&Y feeds going at the same time in either direction I
desire. If this was Mfg. now just imagine grafics it would have , so comlicated. Just my thoughts.
GK
Guess we both from the ol' school when things were more simpler then.
When a Byte was a munch, a Ram was a sheep, bits were small items, hard drive was a real long one etc.
Its just that we are lucky that the helpful knowledgeable Guys here are so generous with their time and info.
We owe them all !!!
aRM

ARM....to the left of the lathe name, what are all the symbols behind the levers? or what is behind them the way this picture is taken? Also, to the right of the Kill button, the large red button, what happens when you push the black button that has a green circle with a "T" inside of it? I understand the feeds and speeds on your lathe, but like mine, you have one lever I bet that shuts the feed rod off and one lever to turn the leadscrew off. I'm thinking the lever to the left of the name has something to do with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54622&d=1370112958&thumb=1.jpg

KEVIN
To the extreme left are the TEETH SIZES of the various GEARS. Guess these would be used for threading.
The BLACK BUTTON with the "GREEN T" is what we would call the JOG / INTERMITTENT BUTTON. We use this to check when changing SPEEDS that the GEARS have indeed MESHED properly, before running her on full speed.
We went and ran her with the different settings of those LEVERS to the left of the name.
L is obviously LOW and H the opposite. This in the H position gets the FEEDS and LEADSCREW turning at HIGH SPEED.
The other Lever in the MANUAL is called a LEVER - bet U did not know that !!!!
We have loaded some pics for U see them better.
Tried them in both positions. Does nothing discernible or remarkable.
The LEADSCREW still turns.
However in the centre position between H and L - the LEADSCREW nor the other TWO do NOT turn at all.
So there's no way to AUTO FEED.
To cut a long story short, we think this LEADSCREW was made to turn continuously.
And we could still be mistaken ???
Thanks a mill for the efforts.
LORD BLESS
aRM002.JPG003.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

002.JPG 003.JPG

Arm...can you snap a pic of the chart that shows your feeds. That would be to the very left of the panel from midways top to bottom?

Wow...This is kind of screwy. I looked in my book on the JET lathe, and I read the manual. One section says to use the knob and lever to activate the leadscrew or feed rod. So I turn a knob and the feed rod stops, but the leadscrew still is turning. I moved the lever as the manual shows, and the leadscrew still rotates, until I hit one position. The leadscrew stops. All other positions of the lever lets the leadscrew turn. So I look at the chart and it is split into two sections. Threading and your standard feed. To thread, I HAVE to turn off the feed rod. But to feed, I really don't have to turn of the leadscrew. And the manual doesn't spell it out. The only things that spell it out is the small chart on the lathe. I'll try to get a good pic of it.
View attachment 54869
The feed selector on my Grizzly G4003G QC transmission toggles between feed rod and leadscrew. It won't let both turn simultaneously. There's also an interlock on the apron that won't let you engage the halfnuts and the power feed at the same time. I haven't been around as many machines as a lot of you guys but between my kids' high school shop and some night schools I went to I played with a fair amount of lathes. Most are similar enough that I could walk up and after a few trial lever shifts be making chips. The machine in this thread is waaay more complicated than anything I've ever seen.

Back