Y AXIS FINISH FEED ???

Tony got you pointed in the right direction, BUT.......is the leadscrew still turning? The reason I ask is that if someone else would just happen to walk up to the lathe thinking they know how to run it, they may grab the same lever to engage the half nut that you were using. There should be a way to disengage the leadscrew altogether. Most lathes I have ever saw, they disengage just for that reason.

Over to the left of the leadscrew, where it goes into the lathe (*can't see it clearly in the picture), is there a collar that slides back and forth? LeBlonds engage and disengage this way.

Kevin, I believe on that lathe, the right-most lever on the gearbox determines whether the leadscrew is engaged or not. That collar is not a dog system on that machine I don't believe. But the lever sequence spelled out by each feed setting should render the leadscrew "off" by the far right lever.

But that is a good point. Someone could engage the half-nuts with disastrous results if they didn't know what they were doing.

And I forgot to mention, aRM, you said something about turning away from the chuck, because it's safer. That may be, but the headstock bearings are designed to absorb the thrust forces from cutting and you really should be cutting towards the chuck whenever possible.

Tony, You are probably right. I was wondering what the red knob lever may have been.

Last edited:
kivn45

the red knob lever is to start the spindle. Down is forward and up is reverse. Nutruel in the midle.

Tony got you pointed in the right direction, BUT.......is the leadscrew still turning? The reason I ask is that if someone else would just happen to walk up to the lathe thinking they know how to run it, they may grab the same lever to engage the half nut that you were using. There should be a way to disengage the leadscrew altogether. Most lathes I have ever saw, they disengage just for that reason.

Over to the left of the leadscrew, where it goes into the lathe (*can't see it clearly in the picture), is there a collar that slides back and forth? LeBlonds engage and disengage this way.

KEVIN
Yup !! The LEADSCREW is still turning.
Well, as TONY said we need to check and engage the necessary LEVERS and ensure that the FEED RATE is as we require it. For now we have solved the issue of NOT using the LEADSCREW with the HALF-NUT Engaged for fine finish turning. Will also fiddle with the Lever settings according to the fine feed we want.
Now U have given us something more relevant and interesting to check on as well. Logically it would make sense that the LEADSCREW need NOT be turning at all for ordinary turning !!!
Will go down at first chance to check for the moving COLLAR, if there is one and whether it slides as U say.
Will get back to U on that.
Thanks a stack for the "other thoughts"
LORD BLESS
aRM

Kevin, I believe on that lathe, the right-most lever on the gearbox determines whether the leadscrew is engaged or not. That collar is not a dog system on that machine I don't believe. But the lever sequence spelled out by each feed setting should render the leadscrew "off" by the far right lever.

But that is a good point. Someone could engage the half-nuts with disastrous results if they didn't know what they were doing.

And I forgot to mention, aRM, you said something about turning away from the chuck, because it's safer. That may be, but the headstock bearings are designed to absorb the thrust forces from cutting and you really should be cutting towards the chuck whenever possible.
TONY
U are right when U say we should be cutting towards the Chuck. Firstly, we had been doing that all along, albeit with much trepidation and hesitantly, but we have also read that that was the proper method how Machining was supposed to be done. Its just that as tyros we have our reservations when working with the intimidating 3 JAW CHUCK and feel at ease with the 5C CHUCK.
We need to acquire a little more experience with our machine.
Thanks a mill
Kindest regards
aRM

- - - Updated - - -

kivn45

the red knob lever is to start the spindle. Down is forward and up is reverse. Neutral in the middle.
KD
One thing we can assuredly say is that U really know Your Machines well.
U are perfectly correct about this RED LEVER.
All the best
aRM

ARM.......I was sitting here in the shop looking at my JET Lathe. So I went over and turned it on. My Leadscrew turns all the time. I've had the lathe for about a year and this thread just now made me think of it. My leadscrew handle is on the right hand side to engage the half nut. I guess I've just got in it and ran it and never gave it a thought :lmao:

KEVIN
OK. We ran the Lathe again and the LEADSCREW still turns with the Engagement of the lowermost Gear lever on the panel. Yup there is a COLLAR on the LEADSCREW but it does not slide back and forth. We could not stop thinking about this. Having nightmares about it really and thinking that there might be another way to turn-off the LEADSCREW. No chance. The FEED settings definitely seem to be governed by the THREAD PITCH ??? We tried the as was setting at 0.4 and changed that to 0.2 and it did slow down the Z FEED.
So it does seem like this Machine has the LEADSCREW turning continuously ???
We have attached some pics for You to eyeball and see for Yourself.
Do kindly let us have Your thoughts
Thanks a mill
aRM009.JPG010.JPG

009.JPG 010.JPG

ARM.......I was sitting here in the shop looking at my JET Lathe. So I went over and turned it on. My Leadscrew turns all the time. I've had the lathe for about a year and this thread just now made me think of it. My leadscrew handle is on the right hand side to engage the half nut. I guess I've just got in it and ran it and never gave it a thought :lmao:
KEVIN
This is reassuring some.
'Cos its been literally giving me nightmares - we would definitely want to run our machine how its supposed to be run.
Now that we got the the FEED right we can't wait to give her a run and see the difference first hand.
Have always drooled over the fine finishes obtained by most other machinists and have made that my ultimate goal to achieve now.
And with the extremely generous and knowledgeable input that we have received from U good, kind Guys here, we are surely confident now that that FINE FINISH is not a distant mirage.
We can only acknowledge our most appreciative gratitude to all U Guys who contributed.
LORD BLESS
aRM

aRM, "cause its given me nighmares"? I guess so. I studied those pics, I am lost. That face plate looks
like a new car dash. Why these rabbits, turtles, aladin lamps arrows - why cant they just speak in
real time. Confused first I thought you could not slow down the Y feed maybe for facing or X feed or
both. Boy with all that grafics I would think it would do miricles. My war babies do anthing I want,
boy I have a generation gap. I just imagine that, I have another lathe with its plate written in plain
ole 8th grade english that is capable of both x&Y feeds going at the same time in either direction I
desire. If this was Mfg. now just imagine grafics it would have , so comlicated. Just my thoughts.

Back