Y-axis alignment on the mill

Baja_Dude

Registered
Registered
Greetings All,

I have a PM-833T mil and have a question about the Y-axis alignment: using an indicator i am able to align the vise along the X-axis in relation to the spindle with no problem, how does one do that for the Y-axis? i have turned the spindle 90 deg. and indicated along the edge of the vise but it seems wildly out of alignment (10 to 15 thousands in a 2 inch span).

I'm having trouble imagining why you need to align to the Y-axis.
If your vise jaws are square then once the vise is trammed in to the X-axis, there's nothing else to do.

Hello DavidR8,

i am trying to make sure my Y-axis is true; is there a procedure to do this?

Best,

If your vise is trammed in to the X-axis, I'd clamp a 1-2-3 block in the vise with the long edge along the Y-axis and indicate that edge.
How close were you able to get the X-axis?
Are you suspecting an issue?

my X-axis is less then 1/2 thou out over the length of the vice jaws (6 inches).
not suspecting any issues at the moment but i have a project coming up where i need the Y-axis to be as true as possible.

Give it a go with the 1-2-3 block as now I'm curious.

I totally agree with DavidR8. Unless totally mis-understand what you are aiming to accomplish. The fixed jaw is the reference. Indicate that to the X travel. The inside bottom is ground parallel to the bottom of the vice so is as good as the table surface. The sides of the vice don't hold anything so are irrelevant. One of us is mis-understanding something.

Yep, clamp a 1-2-3 block in the vise and indicate it. Either that or clamp it to the table, indicate true one axis then check the other.

Back