X feed speed

srfallsallot

Registered
Registered
I have a PM932M-PDF w/ax DRO. I am new at this. so here is a dumb question. How is the speed set for the x axis power feed. I know the dial changes the speed but how is it determined what speed is at any setting?

I have a PM932M-PDF w/ax DRO. I am new at this. so here is a dumb question. How is the speed set for the x axis power feed. I know the dial changes the speed but how is it determined what speed is at any setting?
Check your DRO manual, it may have a feature that shows feed.

Check your DRO manual, it may have a feature that shows feed.
Thanks It does not. I checked with PM and they say it does not do this function. The DRO definitely has the computing power to do this. Maybe the vendor could program this function in. It would be a big seller.

Last edited:
Most low end DRO's do not have a feed rate function. In years past before DRO's and currently machinist knew the material, cutting tool, feed feel and chips to determine rate. There are many factors to consider, there are some calculators to give you chip loads and some general information as a starting point. Many graphical displays like the Easson 12B do have this function, you could always upgrade if the function was important to you. You can very easily measure the table feed rate at different power feed number settings on the drive and "calibrate" the numbers to know what the feed rate is. Table feed rate is typically inches per minutes (imperial), measure the tabel travel in inches in 1 minute for the lower speeds or 30 seconds and multiply that by 2 for IPM. Pretty basic stuff once you get the hang of it.

Most low end DRO's do not have a feed rate function. In years past before DRO's and currently machinist knew the material, cutting tool, feed feel and chips to determine rate. There are many factors to consider, there are some calculators to give you chip loads and some general information as a starting point. Many graphical displays like the Easson 12B do have this function, you could always upgrade if the function was important to you. You can very easily measure the table feed rate at different power feed number settings on the drive and "calibrate" the numbers to know what the feed rate is. Table feed rate is typically inches per minutes (imperial), measure the tabel travel in inches in 1 minute for the lower speeds or 30 seconds and multiply that by 2 for IPM. Pretty basic stuff once you get the hang of it.
I have a PM932M PDF and made a cheat sheet an it works great. Just measure the the distance at different settings an paste it near the x Feed unit and set as required. It is not a cnc feed rate, but works great for my needs (hobby machining). Swooped a knob withe graduations and numbers, with a pointer for better repeatability.
CH

Attachments

• EF8C3E61-A3A0-44F1-9D4A-4DF4F92AAB06.jpeg
    EF8C3E61-A3A0-44F1-9D4A-4DF4F92AAB06.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 93
Thank you all for your input. I measured the travel at each setting on the dial per minute. A made a chart so this answers my question. Thanks much.

You are well on your way to understanding metal working.

I mad a chart, specifying locations on the dial and RPM ranges, Also included 2 and 4 flute endmills. It gives me feed to tenths With RPM varying from 200 to 2000 by 200.

Back