WTK any info on Nardini lathe

Yes, I had a 1340GT for about 6 years until I moved and sold it to a full time gunsmith that really likes it. We all go through different options when purchasing machines, I looked at used machines for both a lathe and a mill, in the end I spent a little more and purchased new. The Taiwanese machines tend to be very good quality, but at this price range I do not expect them to be suitable for industrial use. But for light duty they will most likely last longer than us. Primarily I was looking at the work envelop and my needs, warranty and most of all long term availability of parts. I choose designs/models for both my lathe and mill that have been around for years, vendors with good post sales support and warranty. The major limitation is usually the operator and not the machine. What I didn't want to be doing is having to repair older machinery, or fix the defects on new machinery. I had that with my first Chinese mainland built mill, and after that decided never again. Parts were also a problem, and many things never were taken care of by the distributor/company. I purchase two lathes from QMT and my knee mill from Acra, both have provided very good service and have parts availability. So I can recommend both vendors. It is up to you to decide the machine and factor in the price performance level that meets your needs.

I looked into the Nardini and a few other industrial model lathes years ago, but just too big and heavy for my needs. I recently had the option of buying a new larger/heavier 1440 lathe to replace my 1340GT but went with another 1340 because the size and feature were suitable for my needs. It is a 2400lb machine instead of 3400lbs, it was a model that I looked at years ago but I couldn't justify the cost. Also I wanted a shorter headstock, and had to give up a larger spindle bore. If you are just starting out, both the 1236GT and 1340GT are very good lathes from a quality/performance/cost stand point. I prefer 3 phase and a VFD, it is very easy to do a basic conversion and make it a much nicer machine. If you like to fix old iron and know how to do it that is an alternative. I would be more inclined toward some of the older Clausing Colchester lathes, but finding something in good running condition or refurbished will be in the same price range. Parts, well a big if and costly used or new.

I live dear the op. It is very hard to find a good deal around here. There is 2 used dealers that watch Craig's list and buy up the good deals

Back