WTB lathe in the Carolinas

I'm 53 and I dread the thought of retirement. Maybe I'll come to like the idea some day but for now I'm shooting for 70-72 as a retirement age. Spent my 20's and 30's going everywhere I wanted to go and seeing everything I wanted to see

If you love what your doing there is no reason to retire, that would be an awesome life. :encourage:

You probably live in a lathe desert as is Greensboro NC. It took me about 4 years to find/purchase my 2 Logan lathes and Burke #4 milling machine along with some other metal working equipment. Your just have to be ready to purchase one when it is posted on CL or Facebook Marketplace.

And speaking of Facebook Marketplace I just noticed an add for lathes and milling machines (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/726065858203649 ) although it is two weeks old. A friend of mine bought a nice used Harrison lathe somewhere up in VA about a month ago, for his home shop, via FB Marketplace.

Now on to retirement. I noticed the below signature on another forum and it sure does apply to me. Celebrated my my 73 birthday this May and I retired November 2018 and thoroughly enjoy my endless sea of projects.

“Ahaha, Retirement: the good life – drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects...”

Yeah theres not much in Charlotte. I'm ready to buy one if the right deal pops up and I'm not really interested in waiting a few years. I did see one up North of Raleigh a bit that looks like it might be OK.

mmcmdl sounds like he might have one that fits the bill but the communication isn't happening unfortunately.

Yeah, I learned to machine junk on the first type. That one looks like more of a project than I want. I just want to cut silencer threads. The second one is too much for what he has there IMHO

It’s Craigslist. Gotta start high. Think 2300 will get it

Have you tried placing a “Wanted to buy metal lathe” in the CL tools for sale section and also the wanted section. I have had success doing that with purchasing a vintage Craftsman horizontal hacksaw. I usually will include one or two pictures as examples of what I am looking to buy.

Back