• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Worthless Tools Gallery. What Tools do you regret buying?

Restorer

Active User
Harbor Freight Torq's set. First use the largest one twisted up like the spirals on a barber pole.
Useless!
Restorer

pebbleworm

Active User
I got a lot of use out of my Wagner Power painter! Howled like a banshee but between it an low temperature latex paint I was able to paint a new picket fence, the back of the house, shoot a coat of paint all over the basement and seal coat the deck. I think it is a good and useful tool.

2volts

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
There's no such thing as a worthless tool if all else fails it can always be used as a bad example.

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
I've bought a lot of tools over the years and I have bought a few that I regret buying?
Like the universal center punch. What a waste. What tools have you purchased that later
on you regretted and maybe tossed or worse. (see Tubalcain hammering a drill point grinder!)
I'd like to avoid bad tools in the future, and gimmicky tools that are just unnecessary. You don't have to
name names but what are some tools that should be avoided? Thanks
Sorta in the same vein, but maybe too late. I just burned up a cheap battery powered drill, went down to Lowes and saw that they were pushing the new Dewalt 20 volt "Max" drills. Was on sale for $99 and that included 2 batteries. I could not find any reviews online at the time, so I went home with one. The batteries are Lithium Ion type but are rather slim in design. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just different from the old 18V Nicads. Any reviews out there yet?

markknx

Active User
John,
I do not have that drill But I will say I love the new Lithium battery, seemed like before I always had a battery in the charger. now they spend more time in the tools.
Mark

core-oil

Active User
Those cheap ones were not made of plastic were they? I thought I was seeing things when I saw them. I assumed they were for beginner's.
Got it in one Bill - They are either plastic or a rubbish alloy which is neither stable nor accurately made, I wish I could have met the old boys who made my ancient Brown & Sharp instruments and my equal quality British ones,

AR1911

Active User
I bought one of those little tramming devices to hold your DTI. It was about $25 from CDCO.
Can't find it online, so maybe it died off, as it should.
It was a wobbly POS.

rdhem2

Active User
SORRY! I am too embarrassed to admit some of the STUPID things I bought that looked so good in the store.

mike837go

2-stroke powered anything!
Weed whackers, chain saws, leaf blowers, drink mixers, outboard motors.

Those things hate me. 1 season of almost decent usage. The next year (after replacing the spark plug AND mixing up a fresh batch of fuel) manage to get a frustrating use or two out of it.

Give me 120 or 240 VAC or 4-stroke (preferably, Diesel). Anything less is not worth the trouble.

Imagine the damage one could do with a Diesel-powered chain saw? :tranquility:

TomS

Active User
Recently bought a Harbor Freight 3/16" air/hydraulic rivet gun. Wouldn't/couldn't pull the stud on a 1/8" aluminum pop rivet. Not to mention that it blew oil everywhere. Spent 30 minutes cleaning up the oil mess. Went back to using my hand operated rivet gun and got the job done. Fortunately they refunded my money.

Tom S

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
2-stroke powered anything!
Weed whackers, chain saws, leaf blowers, drink mixers, outboard motors.

Those things hate me. 1 season of almost decent usage. The next year (after replacing the spark plug AND mixing up a fresh batch of fuel) manage to get a frustrating use or two out of it.

Give me 120 or 240 VAC or 4-stroke (preferably, Diesel). Anything less is not worth the trouble.

Imagine the damage one could do with a Diesel-powered chain saw? :tranquility:

Well, that gets a man to thinking:laughing:...
a Detroit 8V92 or better yet, 3408 Cat :grin:

LathemanGoody

Iron
Registered Member
Lets see a tile saw that was used once, a 3/4 drive ratchet & socket set from HF and a USA ratchet and breaker bar from Craftsman those were really expensive. I only acquired another set of USA made 3/4 drive ratchets from a yard sale for a few pennies. HF plastic welder trashed it after 2 uses, HF stick welder, recycled the welder since it was given to me. The old HF wrenches are junk but i'll be honest they make awesome platforms for things like lathe chuck wrench holders when configured correctly and even better spanner wrenches. A drill driven water pump from HF tossed that 3 weeks ago.

I don't often regret buying tools when I do they either get returned, tossed, or turned into something else. Like the lawnmower deck in my avatar, it got turned in a movable base for a foundry furnace-that I dont have time to melt in.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb