Worth it to buy a new Machinist Handbook?

In the 6 years I've had the old one, I've never used it. So... not worth it to me. I carry this electronic thing in my pocket that's smaller, lighter, and way faster at finding the answer to any question I've had. But that's me. A hack. A person who mostly just makes very simple things like brackets with slots instead of precisely located holes.

I have the 28th version as a digital copy, that is 2009. That will do 99.5% of everything you will do and it has a good selection of metrics in it. Downloaded a copy of the 30th edition. Looked through it and haven't found anything I don't already have. One point to make is this. If you decide to build model engines and restore old machinery, you need to get a copy dated around WWII. The bokk drops out uneeded and obsolete information to keep the size down. Size on an old Starrett thread may show up in a 1930 book and you won't see it in this years. Delrin properties will be in the new book and not the old. Google machinery books in pdf form and you should hit on enough versions to use.

I have 17th edition and my dad‘s American Machinists’ Handbook 8th edition. In having the 30th digital edition and the two older versions, I have what I need.
Pierre

Mine is the 5th edition from 1915 in pdf. So far it has answered any question that I had. I have not read it cover to cover but I have paged through it just to get an idea of what it covers.

Mine is the 5th edition from 1915 in pdf. So far it has answered any question that I had. I have not read it cover to cover but I have paged through it just to get an idea of what it covers.
I have a 6th edition from 1924. the real thing.
Also have a 24th edition.

The 1924 version is at internet archives. Just got it... On the 3800+ pages of the 28th book, I printed 50-75 of them. knurl diameters, sines, screw threads, fits etc. Put them in clear page protectors in several 1" binders. Also downloaded and printed out any references to weird threads. I use Machinist's Ready Reference for first goto. My pages second and the real book last. I use the real books 2-3 times a year. It always has what I want, but I may have to surf through 100 pages to find it.

Just bought a 25th in perfect condition for $10 at a garage sale this past weekend.

I find the late 1940s to maybe 3 or 4 editions from current can be found in the $10-25 range pretty easily. The close to recent and WW2 and older can see some decent price hikes. The newer because they are newer, the older because they seem to have some collectability.

Back