Worth it to buy a new Machinist Handbook?

craigsoutdoorsports

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have an older version of the machist handbook. Is it worth purchasing the newest version or just forget about it?

Thanks

Excellent question. I would like to know the answer, since I have one my dad used in the 60’s.
But really, it’s “Machinery’s Handbook.”. I don’t know why. :)

Mine is from 1947 or so (16th ed. I think), and it covers enough metric and carbide to suit my uses. It still retains all the good stuff that disappears after CNC turned machinists from venerable tradesmen into "button pushers" that couldn't find the intersection of two planes if it bit them in the face. If I need anything that's not covered, like some specific insert's data table, I can just go to the internet, which is found in my front left pocket on most days. Otherwise, the old edition works great with scratch paper and a pencil, two of my favorite shop tools.

Great question and answers, I have been wondering the same thing. If I wanted a newer one which I have thought about I would buy a couple year old one off of ebay.

It sounds like my 1959 version is just fine. I know there is way more info in there then I will ever need.

Two reasons why you might want a more recent edition:

If your projects are on the cutting edge you might find stuff in a fairly new one you need. I suspect that applies to very few of us doing this as a hobby.

The second is a more practical reason, beginning with the 27th edition (2004) they started offering a large print version. ;)

The major change I've found between much older and more recent editions, is the metric system. My 1950s edition just includes enough material to convert measurements, very little metric data. I have another from the early 1990s that includes lots of metric info, threading, metric collet sizes, metric fasteners etc.

Excellent question. I would like to know the answer, since I have one my dad used in the 60’s.
But really, it’s “Machinery’s Handbook.”. I don’t know why. :)

It was an offshoot of a magazine called Machinery, so it is Machinery's Handbook.

This is a very good site about the history of the book, including some of the major changes over the years of publication

History of Machinery's Handbook

I think there is more metric info in the newer version.

30th edition is available online. Free down. I cannot remember where I saw it, but I did grab it.
Pierre

Back