Workshop Build

Hi Andrew
I live in Droylsden Manchester, are you far away.
Jeff

Hi ody, When you are doing the blockwork, it is normal to build the corners (some call them quoins) first, go up 3 courses at each corner, building with the square and level, then fill in between using your builders line string. If you dont have a square you can make one out of timber. Fix it together with one screw at the corner then measure 300mm down one arm, mark it and measure 400mm down the other arm. when the measured diagonal between the two marks is 500mm it is square! It's looking really good so far!
Phil
East Yorks.

Hi Andrew
I live in Droylsden Manchester, are you far away.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, I did reply to your post that got lost but it was lost also. Thanks for the offer of help! I'm in the Cheadle area so not far away. With the weather the way it is at the moment it might be some time before I get to the roof. My shop only works out at around 14x18ft so not much bigger than your shop .. also the asbestos garage you can see in the pics will be taken down when I finish the block work so there will be clear access to the doors.

cheers
Andrew

Hi ody, When you are doing the blockwork, it is normal to build the corners (some call them quoins) first, go up 3 courses at each corner, building with the square and level, then fill in between using your builders line string. If you dont have a square you can make one out of timber. Fix it together with one screw at the corner then measure 300mm down one arm, mark it and measure 400mm down the other arm. when the measured diagonal between the two marks is 500mm it is square! It's looking really good so far!
Phil
East Yorks.

Hi Phil

Thanks for the advice. I struggled so much with getting the block work square that I just stuck to doing it level by level as I can correct mistakes .. it would go wrong real quick if I put up the corners 3 courses .. maybe when I build my next shop and have some block work experience under my belt :D

cheers
Andrew

It's been raining, a lot, so progress this week has only consisted of moving the blocks inside the shop so I'm not having to move them 1 by 1 through the small gap between the shop and garage. Having the blocks close to hand when laying them will make the job a whole lot easier.

IMAG4840.jpg

IMAG4840.jpg

You are moving right along with this Oly. I wondered what you were going to do with the garage. I hope you don't have the trouble we have here in Ct. getting rid of the asbestos. It's a real hassle. You cannot do it yourself, a hasmat trained team has to do it. Then there is only one place to take it to.

"Billy G"

Hi Billy, luckily I can deal with the garage myself, I'll just hose it down as I go and take it apart as carefully as possible putting the asbestos in marked bags which I can then dispose of at the local waste facility, for free. I'll get a FFP3 mask and all over suit that I can throw away for a bit of added protection.

cheers
Andrew

Here's a mock up of the gantry system in sketchup. I'm thinking of using 126x76 universal beam which will span 4.1meters ish .. I've had a go at trying to figure out the load capacity but these bending moments and what not are beyond me .. if anyone has any ideas on how to figure out what the rough weight capacity would be I'd appreciate it .. otherwise I'll make sure the beams don't bend two much when in use :D

The long beam running perpendicular to the two main beams will be free to run side to side and a trolley on that beam will mean I'll have full X and Y travel across pretty much the entire span of the workshop.

.new shop 1b.png

new shop 1b.png

I'm thinking of using 126x76 universal beam which will span 4.1meters ish .. I've had a go at trying to figure out the load capacity but these bending moments and what not are beyond me .. if anyone has any ideas on how to figure out what the rough weight capacity would be I'd appreciate it .. otherwise I'll make sure the beams don't bend two much when in use :D

The long beam running perpendicular to the two main beams will be free to run side to side and a trolley on that beam will mean I'll have full X and Y travel across pretty much the entire span of the workshop.

Hi

The old RSJ of 5" x 3", was a 2 Ton spred load, over 14' & a point load, of 1 Ton.
The universal beam is a bit lower, but not buy a lot.
Are all the beams the same size.
If they are, the S.W.L on the crane will be about 1 Ton (rough weight capacity) but less at the ends of the beam.
the over hang on the beam can only be about 2-3", from the cross beam.

I can not find my book at the moment,

Jeff

Back