Workshop Build

ody

Registered
Registered
I've recently moved into a house to start family life .. and having a large garden decided to build myself a dedicated workshop. Being in the UK I'm restricted to building in my back garden, under 30 square meters and off "substantially non-combustible materials" if within 1 meter of a boundary and maximum height of 2.5meters. So taking the restrictions into account and the size of my back garden I opted for a 4x6meter shop built on a 8inch steel reinforced concrete slab with 7.2newton concrete blocks. I'll have a few windows and a steel door and 2meter wide roller shutter. My budget was £5 but I ended up spending £1.5k on various additions I'd like for the shop. I'm doing all the work myself and so far the costs have roughly:

£700 - 500 Blocks, 12bags of cement, 2 ton bags MOT, Damp proof sheet. 6sheets of A142.
£50 - shuttering for slab
£700 - ~7.5cubic meters of C35 concrete with fibers
£100 - cement mixer

So this is the bit of land .. I started by clearing all the shrubbery and mountains of cat sh*t.

1.jpg

It took about a month of on and off digging in the evenings / weekends but I finally go down to some stable soil. What worked for me was to take a layer of 2-3inches away at a time. I don't know what it was about this bit of land but it seemed to attract all the neighborhood cats that treated it as a giant litter box .. so most digging sessions started with me filling a wheel barrow full of cat treats before getting to the real work.

2.jpg

I managed to scrape together enough rubble from my front garden and my nextdoor neighbor who was having an extension put on .. they must love having a neighbor that rummages around in their skip.

3.jpg

Got the 2tons of MOT on .. luckily the neighbors had a ton left over as well and even then I could have done with more. Oh well I'll just have to have a thicker layer of concrete. At this point the rubbel and MOT is only 2-3inches thick at best. Everything was well packed down with a whacker plate .. don't forget this bit!

4.jpg

Got the shuttering in place .. didn't take much effort as I only needed to put it up on two sides as I want the concrete to be level with the drive.

5.jpg

As I didn't bother with putting sand on top of the MOT I used some weed control fabric to stop the MOT puncturing the damp proof membrane.

6.jpg

On top of the weed control fabric I added a damp proof membrane.. it came on a roll 4meters by 30meters .. the slab was about 4.5meters so had to overlap two pieces and stick together with gaffer tape. I also added 6sheets of A142 reinforcing steel mesh on top of some bricks I reclaimed from a seller on ebay. He said he only had 100 and the buyer was to collect ALL of them .. by the time I was finished going back and forth I had 200 .. I'll make a BBQ out of the rest.

7.jpg

Concrete was poured nice and early on a Saturday morning .. very hard work and you've got to keep moving and tapping it down as you go. Don't be afraid to get into the concrete to move it about and use a vibrating poker to help get the air bubbles out .. I also got an easy trowel but wish I'd just got on the concrete and hand trowled it as the finish was terrible (my lack of experience). Also I ended up using the entire truck load of concrete and had to spread the high spots about to finish the fill .. got very lucky.

8.jpg

It took two weeks to figure out how to get the first course down and squared .. it turned out my shuttering wasn't square so I had to build over onto the drive at one end by a few inches. But once the first course was down I was a happy camper.

9.jpg

This is the second course .. I got about 8 blocks down before I realised I'd forgot the DPC! By the time I'd taken the blocks back down and started the course again with the DPC my back started to give out .. I powered through and managed to finish the course after 8hours of graft! I'd planned to do 3 courses in that time.

10.jpg

Well that's it so far. I'll update as I go along .. feel free to ask any questions .. I know I could have done with someone to ask when I was planning this build.

cheers
Andrew

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Did this kind of work for a living for over 2 decades... hard on the back.

Your project looks good! Take your time with the details, you will be glad you did!

Watching and enjoying !

GA

This is a GREAT project Andrew. We are really glad you are sharing it with us. Can't wait to see is all finished up and you moved in. Make sure you keep us up to date.

I thought it would be better if the thread was in our shops section. Hope ya don't mind me moving it.

Last edited:
Hard work , yes! You'll get lots of use out of it when it's done, and you'll be able to say that you built it yourself. There's nothing like a man on a mission to get the job done. I hope you'll have some help when it comes time to put the roof on.

Thanks for the replies.

I know what you mean by paying attention to the details, Gyro, I managed to lay the second course against the string from two bricks .. well gravity pulls it down in the middle as the bricks are not heavy enough to keep it taut so the blocks followed the line :D I'm solving this problem by laying the corners first and I'll let these set overnight and finish the course tomorrow and carry on this way so I can run a taut string between the concrete blocks that are set in place.

No problems moving the thread, Randy, I wasn't sure anyway where the best place was for it.

The roof is going to be a special setup .. I'm going to run two universal beams across the pillars you can see length wise and from these two beams hang another beam on runners for a built in gantry system. The beams will also serve as a support for the roof. As I'm limited to 2500mm in height it's going to be a tight fit to make sure I get the maximum amount of head room. I've pretty much used up all my favors with friends but will be helping one move soon so will call the favor straight back in.

Here's some pictures of the couple of hours I just put in this evening.

IMAG4795.jpg

IMAG4797.jpg

IMAG4795.jpg IMAG4797.jpg

Nice looking shop. Your doing a great job.

I have also been there. Some years back I needed to build a horse barn, and mine was to be 30' x 30'. Around here they would not let me build on a slab so I had to dig down below the frost (42-inches) and place a footing and then used 8 x 8 x 16 block for the first 5 feet. I hauled all the materials with my pick up truck. The blocks were new, but seconds, so I saved a bundle. The building structure was western platform. My Dad gave me a hand (a big hand) the structure ended out being a gambrel 30ft x 30ft x 30 feet tall. Most of the studs were repurposed. At the time, it cost me $3,500.00, pretty cheap. Once we got ride of the horses I converted it to work shop for my cars and had a cement floor poured.

I could go on but I don't want to hijack your thread, maybe I already have.

Anyway, good luck with workshop.

Paul

I will be following along and living vicariously through your build. One day I will build a proper shop and get out of my garage....one day. : )

Cheers
shawn

I had to lay some block at my old shop when I fixed the outer shed. One side was below grade and I used a small footer and some 8x8x16 blocks to build a base for that wall. What a pain in the rear view. Good idea on the corners, I'll be cheering you on from some distance away. Having done my own from the ground up, I feel your pain now and yet to come. Take many pictures and save them, plus keep this blog alive with updates. You will look back and someday have to convince yourself that was really you that did all that work. Satisfaction guaranteed upon move in. We're space pigs here in Texas, it's alwasy good to see how work with the hand they are delt. Good luck!

That sounds like hard graft, Paul. My neighbor had to have their extension footings dug down over 10ft .. when the building inspector came round to check it was deep enough he commented that he'd never been so sh*t scared in his entire 30years career whilst stood in the hole .. the ground was back filled with all kinds of rubbish and had a single leaf wall that was the retaining wall for the existing terrace as the ground slopes down quite a degree at the front of the house. The builder has some solid brass ones for sure.

I wanted to be a Mounty once when I was younger .. and have always wanted to visit Canada .. if you ever decide to build a "proper shop", Shawn, maybe I could fly over and help ;)

Texas has to be up there with the best places to be a hobby machinist, Falcon .. some of the stuff on youtube I've seen from you Texans is pretty epic. Maybe if I manage to make some money from this shop I'm building I'll be able to fund a bigger better one on the front of my property which has a huge garden .. or about the size of a Texan driveway :D

And here is where I got up to today .. it was belting down with rain and wind this morning so only got 4hours in whilst splashing about in an inch of water that has collected inside the shop.

IMAG4818.jpg

IMAG4820.jpg

IMAG4818.jpg IMAG4820.jpg

Back