Workshop Build

Hi again Ody.
Block work is not easy if you haven't done it before, but after this job you will have done it before, so you will be experienced!! Another couple of things I forgot, most important KEEP THE BLOCKS DRY!!! not only are they heavy to handle when wet, they do not "suck" at the mortar and slide all over, much harder to build straight with them. Also are you using soft sand? if you are try adding a shovel of sharp sand to each 4 to 1 mix (3 soft x1 sharp x 1 cement) Some builders use all sharp sand for blockwork, some part, it is personal preference, and use mortar plastisizer (febmix) as well. Although this doesnt seem to make sense, part sharp sand with febmix produces a mortar which is easy to apply, and sticks well, but doesnt let the blocks slide all over when you are levelling them. The pic shows the last bit of blockwork I did , big hollow blocks, 9x9x18 in old money, and heavy. They would just not go on right, and I was constantly trying to thicken up the mortar bed to get them level:-( then I measured them amd realised that the new blocks were nearly 3/4" smaller than the older ones built 30 years ago. Like everything metric, they are rounded down!
Check your perpends (vertical joints) and try and keep them in line on alternate courses, it looks better, but if your'e going to render it, don't bother too much, Keep at it, you'll have the roof up before you know it!
Phil

wall at workshop 005.jpg

I've had a go at trying to figure out the load capacity but these bending moments and what not are beyond me .. if anyone has any ideas on how to figure out what the rough weight capacity would be I'd appreciate it .. otherwise I'll make sure the beams don't bend two much when in use :D

There are a ton of structural calculators available online. This is one of the best I have found.

http://www.webstructural.com/modules/

Bob

Thanks Jeff! I just needed to know it would be able to support a few hundred kilos so it should be fine. I'll do a proper test and measure the bending of the beams to a few mm and then mark it up with a SWL when it's installed.

Thanks for your advice, Phil. I'm using the cheapo bags of sand from Wickes 10 at a time and it works out as cheap as buying a ton bag. I'm managing to get along as is right now so won't mess around to much but I will defiantly look into plastisizer for the next build.

I checked the link you provided Bob but it's still way over my head, thanks anyway!

So another day and another course up. This time I mixed the mortar and stuck it all in a wheelbarrow and moved it around as I went .. having everything to hand all the time brought my time down from 8+hours to 5hours per course .. I'll be a pro in no time :D

IMAG4853.jpg

IMAG4853.jpg

Is that a terrorist, with a grenade laucher in your sketchup!! Don't let him escape!!:roflmao:

Thought I would check in .. it's been one thing after another these last weekends so I've had very little time to work on the workshop .. plus the evenings are now a write off :(

I would have uploaded a picture but I'm being told I'm over my quota or something .. oh well I guess that brings this thread to an end. I'll post some pics in the future when it's complete under a new thread.

You probably went over your upload size quota, this will increase as you post more. I normally resize mine to <100Kb

Could I suggest that you reduce the size of your pictures, 640x480 is plenty big for web use. There are free plugins for both Google Chrome, and Firefox for resizing pictures. There may be one for Internet Explorer also, but I'm not sure.

Google: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...mbipgnbi?hl=en

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...image-resizer/

Irfanview is another very good freeware/shareware viewer that has a lot of useful features, like resizing.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Looking good Ody!

I take it that laying block was cheaper than framing with lumber? I've not laid block/brick but have experience with tuck pointing. I admire you for trying this. Wish I lived closer, I'd stop by to help.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really enjoying your thread ody.
I much appreciate your thoughtfulness integrating the gantry system into the original build. Every time you use it will bring a smile to your face.

One question: please define MOT

Keep those posts and pictures coming.

Regards,

Looking good Ody!

I take it that laying block was cheaper than framing with lumber? I've not laid block/brick but have experience with tuck pointing. I admire you for trying this. Wish I lived closer, I'd stop by to help.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi John

I had to use block as building regulations require it when building within a meter the boundary .. for fire reasons I believe. I was toying with the idea of building it out of timber a meter away from the boundary but figured a block build would last my lifetime at least as I have no plans to move.

cheers
Andrew

Really enjoying your thread ody.
I much appreciate your thoughtfulness integrating the gantry system into the original build. Every time you use it will bring a smile to your face.

One question: please define MOT

Keep those posts and pictures coming.

Regards,

Thanks, I'm going to build it in sometime next year now so will try and document it .. I've not figured out how to resize the images I've already uploaded so given up on posting pictures here. I'll try and get a webpage setup at some point.

MOT is what we call cleaned and graded hard core over here.

cheers
Andrew

Back