Working with my 4 jaw

Jake2465

Registered
Registered
I thought I would take some time today to get my 4 jaw chuck out and practice with it for a little bit. I timed myself and it took me about 5 minutes to get the part within .001" of dead nuts... Ugh :rolleyes:. Once or twice I moved a jaw in the wrong direction too. I will have to work on that.

You are not alone.

I feel like I'm putting when I set up in the 4 jaw - a seemingly little tap gets me on the wrong side of the hole every time.

If you're working with round stock, you can speed things up by pre-setting the jaws to even positions. Must chucks have rings grooved into the face. You can preset each jaw to the same position on (or near) one of those rings. Those rings are there so you can use them as a landmark. When you put the piece in the chuck, turn the t-bar the same for each jaw and rotate the chuck as you go.

Once all the jaws are contacting the piece, work in opposite pairs on the tightening/loosening sequence.

Just keep practicing... You'll get there.

Ray

If you're not using two chuck keys at the same time, try it. It really helps speed things up. Use the chuck keys on opposing jaws.
Center the work in the chuck by eye and set your indicator against the work. Turn the chuck/work through one revolution noting the min. and max. readings. Turn the work to the average reading ( min + max / 2 ) and zero the indicator dial. Then align one jaw with the indicator and adjust this jaw and the opposite jaw so the indicator reads zero. Then turn the work 90 dregees and adjust the other two jaws so the indicator reads zero.
The two chuck keys really speed things up. Repeat the steps if you want things closer.
Once practiced, it takes almost no time.

Big time agreement with Bobby. I only have one larger chuck and it is a 4 jaw independent. That is all I have been using for well over 40 years. And yes two keys is a must if you use it frequently.

For most non critical "centring" I just hang a tool in the QCTP but don't tighten, bring the tool up to the work and rotate the chuck backward to find the closest spot, then rotate 180°, move the back jaw forward, rotate rinse and repeat. Takes not much time at all.

David

I have not thought about using two chuck keys. I should give that a try.

I numbered the adjusting screws on all of my 4 jaws with a sharpie. I feel like it sped things up a bit.

I couldn’t remeber which way to turn the key based on the dial until watching Abom. “Loosen the lows.” Or left on the lows, all start with L. Just now realizing that the dial also moves left (counterclockwise) when reading the lows, so that helps too.

Another couple tips, make sure all jaws are against the part. The part can be held in just two jaws and the first couple passes in the others will be wasted if your not touching the part with the opposite set at the start.

Finally don’t snug too tight until your within a couple thousandths. This will be less work and also leave the last little bit to be brought in slowly from each side. If you have to loosen a jaw you’re gonna be doing a couple more rounds at least.

With the above I’m pretty quick with one key though I have two and use them both sometimes.

I couldn’t remeber which way to turn the key based on the dial until watching Abom. “Loosen the lows.” Or left on the lows, all start with L. Just now realizing that the dial also moves left (counterclockwise) when reading the lows, so that helps too.
That is a good one. I have been telling myself "Screw it in to push it down, unscrew it to pull it out." Works great until I am indicating internal surfaces, and/or if I am using my Interapid tenths indicator that reads backwards. :eek 2:

Back