Working on the Ikegai A20. Danger, hot flying chip zone!

xalky

Registered
Registered
As some of you may already know, I purchased a 20x40 Ikegai A20 lathe. It was delivered 1 week ago today. I set it up and got work for it 2 days ago, and I've been doing paying jobs on it for 3 days now.

I'm having a blast with this machine. At first I was treating it like my it was my 12" lathe, taking light cuts and really going easy on it until I got comfortable with it. I quickly learned that this beast can make quick work out of some rather beasty parts.

Some pics of the work I've been doing.

2 1/2" spade drill ripping thru a piece of stock. The tail stock can be driven in a 1-1 ratio like a regular tailstock, or a 5-1 gear reduction for pushing those heavy drill bits through. The 5-1 gear reduction makes easy work out of those large holes.

20140506_215232_zpsf3kyawwq.jpg

These are semi finished parts that need to go back to the grinding shop for final grind sizing and some bolt holes need to be drilled in it.

20140508_164211_zpse9ka2kmw.jpg

The next 2 parts I have to make are each coming out of an 8" diameter x 9" long chunk of steel. These will also be ground to size and holes drilled after I'm done with them.

20140508_114255_zpsddeizeby.jpg

Shimming it up close so that I can chuck it up into the lathe. These are some heavy SOBs. They've gotta be all of 150lbs each! Chucking it up is a total work out.:nuts:

20140508_120307_zpsta1qvch3.jpg

Chucked up and running within .010". .010" is close enough for these chunks I'll have them running true on the first pass.

20140508_120814_zpsl5kdhf9z.jpg

Faced center drilled and running in a live center. Here I'm taking roughing passes, .300" @ .033 feed rate per revolution. The machine is eating it up and I'm getting a perfect straw colored broken up chip.

20140508_133056_zpslmdh7cs4.jpg

This side is to size and a 2.25" hole is being drilled all the way through the part. It took about 15mins to drill the hole.

20140508_155738_zpsptsjoirn.jpg

Ready for boring to size.

20140508_162819_zpsr6rnbusr.jpg

I'll post more as I move along with these hubs.

Marcel

Looks like you're going to need some sort of an overhead crane to go with that machine.

Looking good Marcel... Nothing satisfies like horsepower and carbide.

Ray

I'm just imagining Mozart's symphony number 40 playing in the background while your ripping off 300 thou...Straw colored chips flying everywhere and lighting bundles of paper towels on fire. All the while, a massive smile on your face.

I've never heard of a geared tailstock like that before, thats interesting and would be nice feature to have.

Last edited:
I'm just imagining Mozart's symphony number 40 playing in the background while your ripping off 30 thou...Straw colored chips flying everywhere and lightening bundles of paper towels on fire. All the while, a massive smile on your face.

I've never heard of a geared tailstock like that before, thats interesting and would be nice feature to have.

Nahhh, Flight of the Valkyries

I'm just imagining Mozart's symphony number 40 playing in the background while your ripping off 30 thou...Straw colored chips flying everywhere and lightening bundles of paper towels on fire. All the while, a massive smile on your face.

That's 300 thousadths at a clip,...not 30 thousandths.:))

Last edited:
That is a beast. Holy jesus.

Couldn't have been better said! Hah hah! Love it! Thanks so much for posting! Wow, that is some machine...

You gotta keep this thread going! I'm subscribed now!

Bernie

I'm just imagining Mozart's symphony number 40 playing in the background while your ripping off 300 thou...Straw colored chips flying everywhere and lighting bundles of paper towels on fire. All the while, a massive smile on your face.

Nahhh, Flight of the Valkyries

I think Marcel should just put up a silent video of his lathe ripping off steel and we'll have a contest to see who can come up with the best sound-track :)
I vote for the "Lone Ranger Theme", err, I mean the William Tell overture :)

Back