Work Light for Bench Grinder?

I have bought about a dozen of these little LED "sewing machine" lights from ebay.
I've been quite happy with them.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-110V-220...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've now got 2 on the drill press, two on the big mill, two on the little mill, and a couple spares in the cabinet.
The only complaint is they take up so many outlets......

The only down side for a grinder is that they are magnetic mount......but maybe that doesn't matter, they can help control the mess too!

-brino

Over the years I've modified a number of goose neck desk lamps to be used as machine lights. Some are incandescent, some are compact fluorescent, and others are LED. They're all repurposed or cheapies from the likes of Walmart, Target, or similar places. They've all been in service between 15 and 30 years. None have failed due to vibration.

Here are a few examples:

DSC00010A.jpg DSC00011A.jpg DSC00014A.jpg DSC00018A.jpg DSC00021A.jpg DSC00027A.jpg DSC09986A.JPG

Here's an interesting video of a work light build. Adam Savage (of Mythbusters) adapted an LED light panel meant for a camera by mounting it on some LocLine, reinforced by a core of aluminum wire.

The video:

The light (about $38):

This is what I did on the 1HP grinder build. It is a LED strip light mounted to the back side of the shield powered by a 12 volt wall wart under the belt and motor guard.

Attachments

• DSCF4279.JPG
    DSCF4279.JPG
    997.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4280.JPG
    DSCF4280.JPG
    877.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4281.JPG
    DSCF4281.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 18
I have also had a gooseneck light, and it worked out perfectly. However, I have made a foolish mistake and mounted the light directly on the grinder. I have killed a couple of bulbs due to the vibration. By the way, if you are going to make such an installation, look only for LED lights as they are the only ones good enough for this job. I have even used my solar flag pole lights after I broke the bulbs due to the vibration. Those bulbs were really powerful; that is why I used them. However, it was not very comfortable to use those poles for a bench grinder.

Last edited:
Back