Work Light for Bench Grinder?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I am looking for one of those lights that you see on bench grinders.The ones that has flex to move into position.I’ve look under task lighting on eBay and those lights cost more than bench grinder does.I don’t want something that has huge guard on it but maybe one of those LED’s .Any suggestions where look?Dang if Costco’s can sell a 4’ light for 20.00 surely there’s something out there for bench grinder.Right?

Yes, almost anything will do. Just a note of caution, try not to mount it directly on the grinder. Vibration is the death knell of light bulbs.

Maybe try an office supply place like Staples? I know the one here has several small LED lamps with the flexy arm. Might have to modify the mount a little, or maybe not depending on your setup. Here’s a random one I found when doing a Google search for “LED desk lamp”.

-frank

8B77BF31-5937-4172-B052-DCC8933D314B.png

A Goodwill will have a goose neck light. Just understand it will not be industrial quality

I've been thinking about making my own work lamps, there are several companies that sell the flexible tubing, some also sell the various lighting components to build a custom lamp. One of the more technical terms for for stand alone "gooseneck" tubing when searching is is Any which way positioning arms.

McMaster Carr Any Which Way Positioning Arms

Snake Clamp

Uniprise

I'm away from my shop right now, but when I get back I can take a picture or 2... Me and another guy have used 'luxo' style Ikea lamps on our bench grinders for 40 years now... Even filament bulbs last forever, so the vibration doesn't seem to bother them (perhaps all the springs and joints provide some dampening).

We attach a vertical bracket behind the grinder with a 1/2" hole in it and put the lamp into that. depending on the wattage of the bulb, you can light it to taste, so to speak.

I'm away from my shop right now, but when I get back I can take a picture or 2... Me and another guy have used 'luxo' style Ikea lamps on our bench grinders for 40 years now... Even filament bulbs last forever, so the vibration doesn't seem to bother them (perhaps all the springs and joints provide some dampening).

We attach a vertical bracket behind the grinder with a 1/2" hole in it and put the lamp into that. depending on the wattage of the bulb, you can light it to taste, so to speak.
Yes sir please do Dabbler
Dang guys I did not realize that there are lot choices out there.Thanks for the links

Back