Work holding, and slitting

I have cut similar parts by standing them on end and just running them against the vertical bandsaw blade.

Not knowing how to use the calculation tables to get the RPM, and feed for the HSS saw blade I had more confidence in the abrasive disc for cutting 316 SS. Thank you everyone for responding. Just having the machines does not mean you know how to use them properly :grin:

I have looked at apps, but do not know all of the data needed to fill in the boxes for the calculations. Little Machine shop calculators is what I usually go to.

LMS info is good. FS Wizard also gives the recommended feed rate. It's free. Select the material you are cutting, plug in the tool info, you get recommend RPM and feed rate

I downloaded FS Wizard a while back and like Aukai I have never used it. I'm looking at it now and I guess the things I don't know are Corner Radius, Helix Angle and Lead Angle. And then on the output, what is Vc, fz and MRR.

I'm using a 5/16 end mill. and cutting 1018 Cold Rolled Steel. According to a google search 1018 (160 - 190 BHN). So, I entered:

High-Carbon and Alloy steels. Medium-Hard (160-300)
Solid End Mill
HSS
No Coating
Tip Dia .3125
# of Flutes 4
Tool stick out .781
Corner Radius 0
Flute Length .625 All figures in BOLD were already entered.
Helix Angle 30
Lead Angle 90
Shank Dia .3125

It says RPM: 734, Vc: 60 f/min
Feed: 3.6 in/min, fz: 0,0012 in/th
Power: 0.11 HP, MRR: 0.14 in3/min

Now if I change the material to A36,44W Hot Roll Steel 160-220 HB

It get RPM: 1345, Vc: 110 f/min
Feed: 8.65 in/min, fz: 0,0016 in/th
Power: 0.23 HP, MRR: 0.4 in3/min

So, after typing it out it looks like the main things to know are the material hardness, the size and type of the endmill. What am I missing?

JFF, You have the basics. One thing I would suggest is to scroll down to the bottom of the page and set the overrides down to 80%. That will give you more conservative starting conditions. Unless you are running production, there is no need to run balls out.

Back