Work holding, and slitting

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 4"x4" 1/4 wall SS 316 piece of pipe I need to slit in half. My previous attempts to slit an aluminum pipe on the band saw was less than Steller. I have 3" 76 tooth HSS, and 46 tooth 5" HSS, and some in between for the mill. I also need assistance in getting it close to an equal split, I have to hold it end to end, and flip it, the vise is not deep enough for a sideways grip. RPM suggestions would be helpful too.

I used a cutoff wheel in my surface grinder to slice some thin (0.060”) stainless tube.
63983f102c3f1a26f6e159dbe65bfb8d.jpg

The one I did in the band saw was not so great.

You might be able to use a slitting saw and v-blocks on the mill?

Since it's got enough wall thickness, one way is to set it on a t-slot on the mill table, stick a bar through it & toe clamp the bar down on both ends. Set your cutting height, slit one side, then move the table to slit the other side. No need to flip or reposition the workpiece. Just be care when you complete the final cut.

That is doable Will, and JW, I may be able to chuck an abrasive disc in an end mill holder. :encourage:

Consider mounting directly to the table? Indicate off the table and drop the knee 2". A V block on the table will also work if you have a big one.
Id try to grab it from the inside using a piece of 2" bar under your clamp to keep from distorting your piece. A standard clamp set should hold it with light passes climb cutting. This would allow you to cut both sides without flipping the part.
72 tooth slow RPM lots of cutting oil.

Edit: darkzero beat me to it. Careful with the t slot tho. Might scratch the surface.

If you have an appropiate slitting saw I would choose that over an abrasive disc doing it on a mill. Abrasive disc will get messy & loud. Might not like cutting through 1/4" 316 easy either.

I did it with the abrasive disc, I took a shot, and then covered all I could. A small disc @ 4500 RPM, I had my welding jacket, and gloves on, and wedged a blade in the cut as it progressed. Thank you all for standing by.....

Another way to tackle that if you had more than a few . Make up end plugs matching the ID and OD and screw together thru the part . Mount in an indexer or Hartford Super Spacer and slice it thru at 180 degrees . The part would be sandwhiched between the plugs and wouldn't move or jam the cutter . We made 1000s of sabots with this set-up for the penetrators . :encourage:

Back