work bench

author=ctfromkc link=topic=1556.msg8968#msg8968 date=1301971591
and another, well do you guys think i made any improvements ?
You need to make just one more improvement....

Load it all into the truck and deliver it to my house. That would be the biggest improvement of all as far as I'm concerned. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: work bench

TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS SAYS WHO ? "my 2 brothers tell me the same thing "LOL"! as you see i did allot of planning before i started. i built this in may of 2009 and just now posting photos the main reason i did was to share my ideas with people like you guys because sites like this one is where i got allot of my ideas from, and also i take allot of pride in what i do and it means allot to get compliments from guys on here because i enjoy your projects just the same . as for the tool boxes they are U S Generals from harbor freight they are side cabinets for they're roll away boxes they are very good quality for the money "way better than craftsman " i basically designed the bench around them because i new i was going to need drawer space after i got rid of the wood bench. thanks allot for the compliments and Walter don't be afraid to do a big project like this one buy all the stuff you want in it first and build around it a good plan makes it go pretty smooth .remember this stuff is therapy not work it's allot more fun when no ones telling you what to do or how to do it ..enjoy chris

Chris

Hope you did not take offense to a little friendly or jealous ribbing.

I am constantly doing projects around here, in between paying customers that is.

My shop is also my full time employment, so I can't be down long when I remodel something.

Here are a few of my projects I have built / done over the last while. when i was buying the Spruce for the Bed, the lumber guy said that if I ever broke that bed, I'd have been haveing way too much fun!

Walter

IMG_2268.JPG Bedcorner.jpg IMG_2055.JPG

Last edited:
This is part of the hull restoration of our sailboat, there was as big of a hole in the rudder and the other side of the keel.

Sailboat stands that were made to support the sailboat

IMG_2200.JPG IMG_2205.JPG IMG_2166.JPG

Last edited:
Low Boy stands and milling the swivels for the stands

Walter

IMG_2160.JPG IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2155.JPG

Last edited:

nice stuff Walter it just takes a little imagination and you definitely have it . do you ever get the question why don't you just buy one?i get that all the time and just laugh that question usually comes from people who don't know how to make anything they think you can get everything at walmart. cool stuff man!

Chris

I have never seen one of these beds that you can go out and buy, well not true as there was one advertised somewhere in Britain for 4000 pounds. When I first made it, it was hanging 12" off the floor, which put the matress at 36" off the floor, but couple of weeks ago we got a new matress set and it was higher. The bed ended up at 39" off the floor and even I was having a hard time getting in, so dropped it to 6" and the total height 33". GF was having to roll into bed before and at 39" needed a stool.

Sailboat, there are hundreds of hours involved, stripping off 30 years of who knows what on who knows what. Stripped off all the old bottom paint, right down to the fiberglass, fixed any holes and gashes that previous owner had incurred, faired then applied 6 coats of Interlux 2000E, epoxy with titanium shingles, sanded to 220 Grit and then 4 coats of VC 17 Bottom Paint with Teflon. Boat increased in hull speed by over a knot.

Boat stands, I had a client come in and wanted 2 boats stands that were just a bit shorter than the one commercially made one and a bit larger than the other. So I said sure that it would be an interesting project. Since I was ordering stock in for it, I grapped some extra and made 4 of the low stands and 4 of the higher stands, sold him two of the lower stands and kept the rest for my own use or rental. Now the stands I made ended up being about twice the weight of the commercially made ones, and way more sturdy.

Yup, could have ordered them in, but now I have the pride of not only owning, but in having made them and they are much better than the store bought.

hey guys here is a small add on to the bench this is part of the reason why i welded receiver hitch tube underneath .

IMGP0820.JPG

#2 3rd member bench mule

IMGP0822.JPG

Back