[Newbie] Wooden Tool Chest Over Metal?

Wow, thanks for all the info. I just want to protect my calipers ect. the rest gets a blast of fogging oil and wrapped if I'm not using it for a while.
My sweat is classified a a corrosive material by the Dod and 1 drop will cause instant corrosion:-(

I do not believe it matters whether your tool box is wood or metal. it's the climate that affects your tools. It is a "prestige" thing to keep your expensive ...or cheap...tools in a fancy wooden tool chest. It makes you "feel" better and it looks nice. And that is why my tools are in a fancy wooden chest.

Desiccant is your friend.

The little packets inside many things that stated do not eat.

Almost everything from China has a package.

Some larger items have pouches or you can buy it outright at Tesco as antenna line dryer refill and make your own.

Place the small packet in drawers and large ones in top.

Put in sun or oven to dry out.

Will keep things nice and dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I have the HF wood box. It isn't bad for the money. I keep Desiccant packs in each drawers.

I agree with the earlier comment that it is important to wipe tools down before putting them away, and not just the greasy tools, either. I have wrenches, sockets, etc (let's call them 'automotive tools') in steel tool boxes out in the garage which is unheated. Temperature and humidity fluctuate violently at times, but none of the tools ever rust. No packets of silica gel either. I just make sure that any tool taken from the box gets wiped down after use and as it is being put away.

I suspect that the humidity in the tool box only really changes when the drawers are opened. When they are closed there is nothing to promote the flow of air, thus temperature and humidity changes are very slow inside the drawers. When those changes occur slowly enough, moisture never condenses on the items inside the drawers. As already mentioned, consistent temperature and humidity are a big help in preventing rust on tools and machines.

Enjoy seeing the old wood boxes and must say WOW to ripthorn on his box. Rust is not a real problem in my shop that is un-heated most of the time. I like to wipe the tools down when they do get put away, mostly fighting chips (swarf), oil is liberally used when machining.
Ray

Back