[Newbie] Wooden Tool Chest Over Metal?

Fldvr

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all, I was just getting ready to set up dedicated tool chest for measuring and setup tools.
Is there a great reason to go with a Wooden (Expensive) chest over a lined drawer metal
chest?
I'm in ultra humid South Florida, if that makes any kind of difference.

Henry

Hi Henry: I am no expert on humidity but i use a wooden chest to help prevent rusting.

Wood has no magic over metal, just has a wonderful look to it, especially an old one with the proper patina. Wood will absorb moisture, but will also let it out. Metal will do neither. The simple secret to avoiding rust is keeping the temperature/moisture combination AT THE TOOLS warm and dry enough so water never condenses on your tools. There are many ways of achieving that, raise the temperature, lower the humidity with air conditioning, dehumidifying, and/or desiccants, or any combination that achieves a lower relative humidity. Humidity is relative to temperature. The same air gets more humid as it cools. Or, do what I did, move to a drier and warmer climate... 8^)

Various coatings from paints to oils to protective tubes can also help to keep the moisture away from the tools, short term. Another good idea it to store all acids and acid based compounds away from your shop. They will eventually leak and the vapors will corrode everything in the shop.

While i was shopping for a machinist tool chest i read that wood helped prevent rusting by absorbing airborne moisture.
I did not question the logic because building my own tool box from wood freed up enough cash that i was able to purchase a new to me bench grinder It does make more sense that sooner or later that captured moisture has to go somewhere.

http://gerstnerusa.com/made-in-usa-products/chests-and-bases

Last edited:
I've found that wiping down my tools prior to putting them back is very helpful.
I've heard that it has to do with the salt in sweat.

Wish I had a wood box.
I've got a Kennedy, but because I'm cheap I mostly use 4 drawer filing cabinets with wood lining the bottom of the drawers.

Not sure that this helps....

Daryl
MN

I HAVE HAD TOOLS RUST IN A METAL BOX . SOME OF THEM ARE NOT THAT OLD .

I HAVE OTHER TOOLS THAT BELONGED TO MY DAD IN THE EARLY 1950's
THEY HAVE NO RUST BUT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN STORED IN WOOD GERSTNER BOXES .

A POSSIBLE CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE IS WOOD CASES IN THE METAL BOX .

Wood in my basement shop does collect moisture and along with it, mold. The mold doesn't affect the tools but it does smell nasty and it is not good for your health. I have not had a problem with rusting in my Kennedy tool box or my rolling tool chest but we do run the whole house A/C during the summer.

A plastic tool box would be another solution. I use Plano hip roof fishing tackle boxes for some of the special tools.

+1 on the salt from sweat, Daryl. I remember a gun dealer years ago that carried a cloth and wiped down every gun that was handled by potential customers.

I don't know that there is a huge difference in performance. I have a kennedy and a wooden one I built, both have worked well. The wood one was made from knotty alder and pine. Materials cost was maybe $25 and I was able to tailor the drawer sizes to work for what I wanted them to. Simple pocket screw construction with floating drawer fronts held in place by the handles:

DSCN0367_zpsxme5ben2.jpg

DSCN0367_zpsxme5ben2.jpg

DSCN0367_zpsxme5ben2.jpg

DSCN0367_zpsxme5ben2.jpg

DSCN0367_zpsxme5ben2.jpg

DSCN0367_zpsxme5ben2.jpg

and a wooden one I built,

I'm a sucker for tool boxes like that. it's really beautiful. I spent a few years as a 'ships cabinet maker' in my misspent youth, loved the work, loved what I could do with mahogany and teak. Still like to play with it.

Rust and salt. I knew one machinist who's skin acid rusted his tools (mike in about 9 months) so bad he quit as a machinist and worked in inspection, didn't handle nearly as many tools. I knew others with varying problems in that regard, seems to be natural. It wasn't the shop, it was temp and humidity controlled.

Back