Wireless modem

if you are using Windoze then I can confirm problems with my recent upgrades causing problems.
I have problems automatically connecting.
I have problems wired and wireless. Wired it takes a few plug ins to recognize that it's plugged in. And it will disconnect over time. I have modified the adapter settings and made sure that it shouldn't... but it still does.

I more recently had problems where on start up it doesn't try to connect to the wireless, or on a wakeup. It's set to auto connect to my home ssid.
I deleted, and reinstalled, still.. I was able to find multiple people complaining about it. Especially if using the laptop for wired and wireless.

For me hitting connect solves the wireless issue. something else that's new, if I connect my wire, it will disconnect my wireless.. that's new.
One more thing It will drop my wired connection, tells me my ethernet is not connected, but if I disable my adapter, then enable, it connects.. I blame Microshit on their wonderful pushes of software.

I'm an old Unix guy, less so Linux, I am not an RPM fan.. I was always a command line guy because of what I did. I did things manually in the old days. I have been thinking of going back to Linux, I'm just so fed up with MS, I think they don't have a clue anymore. No doubt things have become more complicated over time, but they forgot to handle the basics. They are so worried about glitz, and Apple.. They should concentrate on making a solid product.. Their updates have been horrendous. not long ago I had to revert one of their updates as I started crashing like crazy.

I was having a problem with my (ISP provided) modem dropping the connection and requiring a reboot 3 or 4 times per day. Knowing that I would receive pushback when I called and requested a new modem, I began frequent modem reboots through the GUI. After a few days of this, I called in and complained of frequent disconnects. The tech said "Oh, yes, I see over 50 disconnects in the last 24 hours. We'll send you a new modem."

I am loosing the signal from my modem for some reason. When I start up my computer in the morning the computer has no signal, I then shut down the modem, restart it, and I have a connection again. I'm using a Media Link modem now, but would like to know what is out there with better range than this one.
Since a reboot of the modem restores the connection, I don't think the problem is Windows.
If there are other devices (Smart TV, phone, tablet, different PC) connected to the WiFi, their connection status would tell more.

Last edited:
I've been using Sonic as my ISP for a few years. The modem needs a reboot every few months, apparently the cache gets filled up and it chokes
-M

I've had to replace both a router and a switch in the last few months, but the modem (wired) is still chugging along.

I just had to go and do the off-on dance with the modem after the computer went to sleep. reconnecting says "cannot connect". I have cable access, with ether net cables connecting to the modem. And still windows 10, this just started yesterday.

If you are using ethernet to connect to the modem, the wifi stuff isn't involved. The router that's built in could be causing problems, or the cable modem side could have an issue. Hard to say without seeing diagnostic screens from the device. If you know how to get into those, you can try seeing if you can get screenshots for us.

You might try setting the modem to "Bridge Mode" if it has it. Note this will break wifi from it and all but one ethernet port. It's usually #1. See if a computer connected to that port will work, you might have to reboot them both to force a address to get assigned. Bridge mode disables all the routing and wifi stuff, so it makes it act like a basic cable modem. Those added features are often the cause of problems. I run a stand alone cable modem and have far fewer problems than many people I know using the cable company combo boxes.

So far this has been resolved with only turning off the Media link, I'm thinking the cable box is okay. I'm in the front of the house, all of the cable connections for the computer are in the back bedroom.

Medialink looks to sell wifi routers. Is that what you have? Is it connected to the internet via coax or ethernet? If ethernet, get the Ubiquiti stuff mentioned earlier. It's much higher quality than Medialink. I've been running one of their AC wifi devices for years now, stable and still gets updates. I have not used their routers, but have heard they work well.

Back