Windows 10 is running slow -- Fixed

A little update. I have still been experiencing problems with the computer. New memory and new hard drive installed. Finally concluded it's a problem with the mother board, pretty sure one of the memory slots is flakey. Symptoms have been random program failures, Windows just rebooting the machine because of an error, errors on program load, etc.

But I seemed to have fixed it yesterday. I concluded that it was time for a new computer, found a nice i7 Dell on Craigslist for $200...... But what seemed to fix the problems was the phone call to the seller. The instant I hung up from that phone call, my computer quit throwing errors, and has been running fine since. Talk about AI becoming self aware..........:confused: This is a little scarey.:cautious:

Still going to buy the Dell because I need another computer for an upcoming project anyway.

A couple of months ago I decided to check the caps on my mainboard since I was having some intermittent errors.. I found 5 bad caps in the CPU power circuits. After re-capping the computer is now more stable than when it was new. I've always built my own computers but this is the first Gateway for me. It has lasted 7 years but I'm getting the urge to build a new one. I replaced the power supply with an 850 watt 5 years ago when it started acting flaky. Power supplies in most pre builts are not very robust.

Roy

Yeah, leaking caps are always fun. Left too long they'll eat thru the circuit tracings. Fixable if not too bad but these days I'd just get another mobo. Hey Jim, try running Memtest on the machine. Pro'lly memory but could be a bad hd sector that Windows finally marked off.

Hey Jim, try running Memtest on the machine. Pro'lly memory but could be a bad hd sector that Windows finally marked off.

I'll do that when I bring that computer back up. I just swapped out computers, was still having problems. Easiest swap I ever did. Installed the SSD out of the other one and it fired up and ran, only had to load the video drivers. Everything else worked fine. That has never happened before. Seems to be working OK so far, about 30 minutes.

The only reason I have Win7 on a laptop is to be able to use my Autocad 2000.
Pierre
You already have a sweet system, and you already know the advantages. I do keep a W7 PC down on the floor, accessed via RDP or sometimes VNC via a direct GigE network cable between it and the Linux Mint box. That one is for those (now very few) apps that can only live in Windows.
I never did get deep into AutoCad, but now I have found...
THIS --> https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Screenshots
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCAD
The thing is vast, especially the more esoteric applications like link animation, thermal and mechanical stress analysis, 3D printing, but it does the job for me.
Versions from Ubunto are locked into their update cycle, still at 0.16, so I used a PPA repository to load up the latest, known as FreeCAD Daily 0.17, because it has had such massive recent updates features.

Maybe stay with AutoCAD, but check it out FreeCAD - unless, of course, you already have! :)

Did some of my best firmware design/coding on DOS. Used borland C, but liked Watcom better as it would generate 186 native. I don't remember if Borland did. :)
Even today, radiation-hardened versions of 186 are at the recovery core of satellite systems, and many still handle telemetry. All possible logical states for a 186 are mathematically testable, which is something that became impossible around the time Pentiums came along.

You seem akin to my brother in law, who only retired his Windows 3.1 in 2015, then skipping W95, W98, W2K, ME etc. all the way up to XP, which he had to abandon after only a few weeks, to finally end up with W7. He only dumped the Taxan CRT screen earlier this year!

Been away for a while. One interesting acritical I read a long time ago about core memory, they use to build them on a Navajo Indian tribe reservation. Theory was they were so good at doing bead work that they had the skills to assemble core memory modules. Don't know if that is a fact.

Why is it every time someone disagrees with the Linux faithful they have to come out with pitchforks like someone spit on their religion?

It (Linux) is just another choice, like MacOS or Windows. Some folks use/like it, others don't. Enjoy what you like and quit trying to push your choice on everyone else who disagrees with you. Wow.

See what you started Jim? ;)
Ahh yes, feeling the wrath of the truculent on the supposed slight to their choice in Operating Systems? These faithful rushing to attack any affront to their chosen religion, errr OS, I mean. It is tiring on the whole. In all frankness, I do not understand the Evangelical OS acolyte, these prodigal preachers singing the gospel of (insert OS here).

The OS is a platform to do the things we need to do. If you choose X or Y, it should be because that OS will help you achieve your ends and one thing that is rarely considered, can it provide the support you need or can you even get that support? I do spend quite a bit of my time resetting expectations on what support levels are and who is responsible to support which piece. Luckily, that is not an issue for most home and hobby users. Every system and every piece of hardware requires updates and each update should be reviewed for appropriateness prior to installing. This is true of any OS and I do mean any OS.

With Microsoft or Apple, you have support from the OS provider. This is also true of Red Hat (if you pay for support) and some other flavors of Linux. If you buy hardware (your PC or Laptop) then you likely have at least hardware support with the purchase and if you bundle it, you also roll in software support from their range of supported OSs. If you buy your PC from a major manufacturer, you may also get what is known as Best Effort which can range from lip service to dogged tenaciousness if it is allowed. I have seen and experienced both. I have even been laughed at by support from at least one major manufacturer when I reminded them the OS I was using was listed as supported but that is another story for another time.

Linux support is, by and large, community based support which means if something breaks and you cannot find or figure it out or if you need a feature and cannot create the function then you have so submit to the 'community' and then weed through and evaluate the responses.

I cannot speak for gaming manufacturers but I would not be surprised to learn they are unwilling to develop games or port games to people who are unwilling to even pay for the Operating System to run them, after all, isn't that what game consoles are for?

(I guess I need to say that my opinions are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer)

Been away for a while. One interesting acritical I read a long time ago about core memory, they use to build them on a Navajo Indian tribe reservation. Theory was they were so good at doing bead work that they had the skills to assemble core memory modules. Don't know if that is a fact.
Speaking as a Native American in the IT industry, I have to say I have never been asked nor have I ever heard of an interviewer asking about my or anyone else's beading skills as an indicator of their job skills. That does not mean it did not happen. I have been asked questions about the proper way to conduct a sweat lodge, or how an 'indian' would do something. I have been told I was the 'Token' minority at one place of employment by the HR director. I have been asked and told many things, but I have never, not once, in construction, in medicine, in any odd job, and not in my career in the IT industry, if I were a proficient 'beader'.

Core Memory? I have not heard anyone even mention core memory since my days at (Software Dev Company) while discussing the history of computers with some friends who had been working on 'big iron' as much as 40 years. All I can say is this, if your memory is accurate and some computer manufacturer did choose to move a facility to the Navajo reservation on the dismally prejudiced idea that Indians are good at beading, then at least it provided some work for some people that may have gotten them out of poverty. I just cannot imagine why they would not then use the Navajo to create pottery enclosures, computer packing blankets, and also fine turquoise and silver adornment for their systems?

I need to sign off but I have to admit, you floored me but I am not offended. I will also go look this up.

Last edited:
Speaking as a Native American in the IT industry, I have to say I have never been asked nor have I ever heard of an interviewer asking about my or anyone else's beading skills as an indicator of their job skills. That does not mean it did not happen. I have been asked questions about the proper way to conduct a sweat lodge, or how an 'indian' would do something. I have been told I was the 'Token' minority at one place of employment by the HR director. I have been asked and told many things, but I have never, not once, in construction, in medicine, in any odd job, and not in my career in the IT industry, if I were a proficient 'beader'.

Core Memory? I have not heard anyone even mention core memory since my days at (Software Dev Company) while discussing the history of computers with some friends who had been working on 'big iron' as much as 40 years. All I can say is this, if your memory is accurate and some computer manufacturer did choose to move a facility to the Navajo reservation on the dismally prejudiced idea that Indians are good at beading, then at least it provided some work for some people that may have gotten them out of poverty. I just cannot imagine why they would not then use the Navajo to create pottery enclosures, computer packing blankets, and also fine turquoise and silver adornment for their systems?

I need to sign off but I have to admit, you floored me but I am not offended. I will also go look this up.
Ok, I think I found some reference to this but there is no mention of beading skills and it does not say it was ever actually done. So still looking :
http://www.feb-patrimoine.com/english/64_dps_origin1.htm

"The main memory was assumed initially to be magnetic core in spite of its labor intensive cost figures ; at that time, GE was planning to set up a core weaving factory ...in the Navajo reservation! You should note that the intended manufacturing cost of a 32-bits CPU later was planned to be 8,900 1970-dollars, while memory's cost was expected to be 8,000 dollars per 32K Bytes!"

Back