Will a 7" "asian" lathe handle this piece?

They fail mainly due to installer error. Never seen one fail due to material fatigue/failure.

Most every dually 1 ton truck you see on the road has OEM wheel adapters on the fronts.

I'm not normally a fan of them, but they have their place and purpose.

Anyways, this isn't supposed to be a thread about the merits or deficits of wheel adapters, it's a thread about lathe capacity....lets try and keep it there please.

:victory:

Last edited:
i've just got a bigger lath than a 9x20 and most of the points are already covered.

if you want to make one or two ever its probably possible with a small lathe, a slightly bigger lathe will give you a lot more flexibility and features and wont be being worked at it's limit.

The shorter bed 12-14" lathes that have their own stands have a pretty tiny footprint.

What sort of tolerance do they have to hold?

If you want to turn the concave holes with a shaped cutter you will need to swing it off center which will require more swing.

Could you use a boring head in a mill?

Stuart

i too was wondering if this could be done on a small mill. if it was attatched to an arbor , and some type of toolholder attatched to the table. would this be bad practice?

I'm concerned about the safety considerations of making parts yourself that hold the wheels on. Are those adapters heat treated,and what aluminum are they made from? Are they forged before machining? Those things will make them MUCH stronger than just machining them out of billet. Do you know exactly what steel the bolts are made from? You have a lot to lose here.

George brings up a very valid point. I believe that aluminum wheels go through a "coining press" to compress the material around bolt holes and valve stems. This prevents the aluminum from being compressed while in use on the car.

But, to answer your question- I don't think it would be an enjoyable experience. However, go ahead and buy the lathe. If you can't do it, you still have a lathe!!:thumbsup:

In my opinion Wait to purchase a better quality lathe.
please review this thread
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/31507-Re-Busy-Bee-Tools-Canada?p=268736#post268736

I have done extensive repairs / modifications to my Craftex 7" x 8" and it is still limited to small light duty working.

+1 on this advice. I'm on my 3rd lathe, going bigger each time. When you start to work at the outer limits of the machine, you *might* be able to get the job done, and you might not. I turned 6" aluminum pulleys on my 10" Logan, and I was still taking pretty light cuts on the outer edges. On a 7" lathe, it would be very iffy.

My second piece of advice would be to get a lathe that has good resale value so you can trade up without having to spend the same money again. You can make incremental upgrades if and when you have the money available.

Best of luck,

GG

Please understand that I’m trying to help and not intimidate. Too many basic questions are being asked for a job that could require many many years of machine shop talent. To make such parts on a very limited lathe probably can be done, but the know-how and finesse to achieve the results will only come from a talented machinist. I would look for a bigger lathe, I think you will find it more meaningful…Good Luck, Dave.

i too was wondering if this could be done on a small mill. if it was attatched to an arbor , and some type of toolholder attatched to the table. would this be bad practice?
Would need to be a fairly large Milling machine. I have a Zx45 and I would not attempt a piece that large on the spindle. although the part being aluminum it might not be as bad.

Please understand that I’m trying to help and not intimidate. Too many basic questions are being asked for a job that could require many many years of machine shop talent. To make such parts on a very limited lathe probably can be done, but the know-how and finesse to achieve the results will only come from a talented machinist. I would look for a bigger lathe, I think you will find it more meaningful…Good Luck, Dave.
No worries, I didn't take it as a negative post. There's meaningful advise in there.

Cheers.

Back