Wiggler center finder

I haven't used mine in years. The only use I might have would be for the pointed stylus for finding a center punch and I have a scribe permanently mounted in a TTS tool holder. The advantage of the wiggler is you can eliminate any spindle runout but the TIR of my TTS mounted scribe is less than the errors associated with punching a center mark or visually locating a scribed line. If I need sub thousandth level accuracy, I use my edge finder or a spindle mounted microscope which will dial me in to +/- a tenth.

Not really, as the point is held in a ball joint that allows it to slip, the worst one might get is a bad scratch. You are right though, it's not good practice. I was taught to do that way when I was an apprentice by old school, tool & die maker. Been doing it for decades, maybe I'm just lucky.
When it "slips" all the way it is a sharp point, 2" +/- from the center of the spindle whirling around at a couple of hundred RPM; while the ball & socket will allow some movement, if you have it tight enough to work properly as a pointer, you're going to get more than a bad scratch.

When it "slips" all the way it is a sharp point, 2" +/- from the center of the spindle whirling around at a couple of hundred RPM; while the ball & socket will allow some movement, if you have it tight enough to work properly as a pointer, you're going to get more than a bad scratch.

My Craftsman has a very sharp hardened steel point that is inserted into the probe. It is pretty sharp.

I have had it spin out on me but it never caused any injury. I don't tighten it much it just enough to keep it from moving on its own. I actually use the Wiggler a lot as it is my go to for center alignment tasks. One advantage to the thumbnail technique you can feel when it's running true no need to squint.
I will try to start using a piece wood for setting the point as I am not a fan of irony.

I have had it spin out on me but it never caused any injury. I don't tighten it much it just enough to keep it from moving on its own. I actually use the Wiggler a lot as it is my go to for center alignment tasks. One advantage to the thumbnail technique you can feel when it's running true no need to squint.
I will try to start using a piece wood for setting the point as I am not a fan of irony.

I always used a pencil or my 6” scale. Wiggler sets are good multipurpose tools. Not only edge finding and center finding. The other attachments are for holding test indicators. Great tool to have especially when starting out.

Also a good project to make.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back