Wiggler center finder

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I just bought my first wiggler center finder at the flea market for the princely sum of $5. Craftsman complete set. What does the wiggler do that my old reliable edge finder does not? Any tips or tricks?

If you have a workpiece that has locations (usually for holes) that are center punched, put the wiggle body in your spindle and put the pointed end of the straight stylus into a center punch divot. With your spindle turning at very low speed, raise the quill. If the stylus is wiggling, your spindle is not over the divot. When your spindle is right over the divot the stylus will look exactly the same (zero TIR) with the point in the divot or raised above.

I just bought my first wiggler center finder at the flea market for the princely sum of $5. Craftsman complete set. What does the wiggler do that my old reliable edge finder does not? Any tips or tricks?
Use a tap in a collet. The point runs true to the shank so move the table to find the centre cross.

If you have a workpiece that has locations (usually for holes) that are center punched, put the wiggle body in your spindle and put the pointed end of the straight stylus into a center punch divot. With your spindle turning at very low speed, raise the quill. If the stylus is wiggling, your spindle is not over the divot. When your spindle is right over the divot the stylus will look exactly the same (zero TIR) with the point in the divot or raised above.
I was taught to first true the rotating point by holding something against it (I use my thumbnail) then align it to the punch mark scribe mark. The point shouldn't actually touch the workpiece.

I was taught to first true the rotating point by holding something against it (I use my thumbnail) then align it to the punch mark scribe mark. The point shouldn't actually touch the workpiece.
Using any part of your body near the spinning wiggler can be hazardous: if you tap it too hard it turns into a single-point saw blade: use a pencil or something similar.

I had thought that you would edge find buy running the wiggler against the part until it had no run out.

I've seen a few folks that go until it kicks out.

I've used it on the lathe to find the center of a center punched hole when using a 4-jaw chuck. I usually put a center drill in the tail stock drill chuck and eyeball my 4-jaw alignment to "close". Then chuck up the wiggler and stick the braille point in the center punched hole. Put an indicator against the wiggler needle near the pricked hole and rotate the chuck by hand to tweak alignment.

Bruce

Using any part of your body near the spinning wiggler can be hazardous: if you tap it too hard it turns into a single-point saw blade: use a pencil or something similar.
Not really, as the point is held in a ball joint that allows it to slip, the worst one might get is a bad scratch. You are right though, it's not good practice. I was taught to do that way when I was an apprentice by old school, tool & die maker. Been doing it for decades, maybe I'm just lucky.

Back