Wich clamping would be better

I would use positive rake on a small lathe like that.I really need to learn the banggood thing. I see alix express is also got nice deals. Do they deliver to S A?
What size inserts would you think you need for that lathe.?Looks like you will have to make more holders for a different style toolholder. Never stops hey?

That should fit comfortably in a 12mm shank.I use that but made two tools so I can use all the corners. I pay about R120 from iscar. The alu inserts are awesome for plastic and ali.

Negative rake inserts are generally stronger than positive rake inserts and have twice the cutting edges. The downsides to negative rake tools are that they consume more HP and impart more cutting forces for the same cut in comparison to positive rake tools. In general they will be preferred for roughing and material removal (due to insert life) but the increased cutting forces can make finishing a part on size a little tricky (especially for small, thin, long, or unstable workpieces). Negative rake inserts typically come with a heavier chip breaker necessitating a much deeper minimum depth of cut than you might be able to get away with on a positive rake insert.

Each tool has its place in the shop. I keep a CNMG (negative rake) set up for material roughing while most of my normal and precision work is done with positive rake tools.

Nice lathe :)

Negative rake inserts are generally stronger than positive rake inserts and have twice the cutting edges. The downsides to negative rake tools are that they consume more HP and impart more cutting forces for the same cut in comparison to positive rake tools. In general they will be preferred for roughing and material removal (due to insert life) but the increased cutting forces can make finishing a part on size a little tricky (especially for small, thin, long, or unstable workpieces). Negative rake inserts typically come with a heavier chip breaker necessitating a much deeper minimum depth of cut than you might be able to get away with on a positive rake insert.

Each tool has its place in the shop. I keep a CNMG (negative rake) set up for material roughing while most of my normal and precision work is done with positive rake tools.

Nice lathe :)
Thanks for all that data. Yes this lathe is supposed to be for retirement purposes far in the future, but I am already using it a lot more than I thought I would. The big stuff, that I give to my old trusted Mashstroy lathe. But is fun working on the small one.

Back