Wich clamping would be better

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi guys.
Can you give me your opinion on wich clamping method would be the better one of these two before I purchase
Screenshot_2019-07-10-08-23-07-1.png

Screenshot_2019-07-10-08-28-21-1.png

Thanks

The second one pictured will be more durable. It has the seat shim so the holder will not wear I dread changing inserts cause of the cheap small torqs screws.

I have some of each type and I prefer the ones in the second picture.
May be just my cheap holders but I have had some of the center screw ones come loose under the vibration of cutting. Never had that problem with the clamp type.

If your lathe has the power to handle negative rake tooling, go with the bottom pic. You can still use it on a weaker lathe but you would be limited to inserts with a chip breaker that is sufficient enough to counter the rake angle.

That being said, I prefer the camlock holder for reasons mentioned above.

I have a 1.5 HP 12x36 lathe that I work pretty hard in aluminum and alloy steels. All of my tooling is the first type of clamp (for positive rake inserts). I've never had one come loose or strip out. The clamping screws of ALL holders are consumables so buy a few spare when you get the holder. Use a quality torx tool for tightening. Clean under the insert very well when changing inserts as any debris will do damage to the holder or cause poor seating of the insert.

EDIT: Bottom pic is much stronger, but not necessary for small lathes.

All (most) all my tooling on my 12×36 is of the later variety using CNMG inserts.

Dont you get twice as many sides on the bottom one. Your lathe is sturdy enough. Where are you going to buy them from.?

I don't buy tooling based on clamp type or how many sides per insert you get. I go based on insert shape & performance. Top uses positive inserts & bottom uses negative inserts. I use both CCMT & CNMG for different applications but I use CCMT style inserts more.

I don't buy tooling based on clamp type or how many sides per insert you get. I go based on insert shape & performance. Top uses positive inserts & bottom uses negative inserts. I use both CCMT & CNMG for different applications but I use CCMT style inserts more.
I like the top one simply because the alu inserts work very nicely and the tool itself is easy to make.

Dont you get twice as many sides on the bottom one. Your lathe is sturdy enough. Where are you going to buy them from.?
I recently made a deal with a friend exchanging a job for this little new edition to my shop.
20190629_142635.jpg
So the tooling is for a small 500mm between centre lathe,I think that is about 19". My point is I don't the I need the roughest toughest tools on the block,just tools that will get the job done,so I will get them on Banggood. They are cheap and not all that bad depending on what you buy and what your needs are. Thanks all for your input once again. I mainly got this small lathe for later in life near retirement,but I am using it now too for smaller jobs instead of starting up the big 1.5m between centre lathe.

Back