Why would an electronic outside micrometer not return to zero?

Well all I can say is I’m glad you bought the Imperial vise and not the metric one. Can you imagine the grief trying to sort that out afterwards? ;)

I have already started saving up for a metric micrometer holder. After that, I will one day buy a screw thread micrometer holder.

After you said that, I bought 14 Starrett mikes.

I wouldn’t throw the Shars in the trash because I can use them for roughing cuts.

I’m still chewing on this statement:
“I bought 14 Starrett mikes”
Holy Moley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m still chewing on this statement:
“I bought 14 Starrett mikes”
Holy Moley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to have up to 7” and up to 175mm in both imperial and metric; that’s how we get the 14. Hopefully that was reasonable. They were discontinued models, and about half were used.

Of course, it’s the 0-1” that gets the lion‘s share of the work.

After you said that, I bought 14 Starrett mikes.

I wouldn’t throw the Shars in the trash because I can use them for roughing cuts.
Nah, if they turn out to be too inaccurate for finish work, they still make good C-clamps. ;)

Tom

I just wanted to have up to 7” and up to 175mm in both imperial and metric; that’s how we get the 14. Hopefully that was reasonable. They were discontinued models, and about half were used.

Geez, you sound like someone operating on a military budget.

My largest is 4 inch. I would like to have up to 6, but have no real justification. Metric mics? Is it really that hard to do the math? I'd be more likely to make a mistake reading them.

I don’t have any problem converting English to metric, but I use a metric micrometer for metric work, inch pitch leadscrew notwithstanding. I don’t think that you would make a mistake reading a metric micrometer.

Regarding the budget, I spend very nearly zero discretionary money on anything other than tools, materials and schools. I haven’t owned a car in over 10 years, and I very rarely do anything else that isn’t free. I don’t know what I’m missing out on, but I’ll bet that it’s boring.

Last edited:
I haven’t owned a car in over 10 years, and I very rarely do anything else that isn’t free.

1584228867807.png1584228873217.png1584228878423.png
You are a better man than I! To be able to pull that off somewhere other than a major metropolitan center is truly impressive. I can understand how that would markedly increase your discretionary budget. Even without a car payment, cars constitute a large part of my monthly expenses.

You machinists who bought digital electronic micrometers, may I ask why you chose that over analog? Maybe you save some time?

I have never and will never own anything electric . I was presented with a digital Mit caliper and it never came out of the packaging . It collects dust in the basement somewhere .

I have never and will never own anything electric . I was presented with a digital Mit caliper and it never came out of the packaging . It collects dust in the basement somewhere .

The same for me, dial calipers and indicators, analog mics, vernier calipers & height gage. Oh, wait, I have an electronic calculator and a couple of DROs.

At home I have analog tools ie hammer, screwdriver, saw and dial caliper and micrometer. At work we are issued digital Mitutoyo due to a few reasons. Mostly speed of reading the numbers as the material is moving pass the operator, too hard to read the barrel and having to do metric and imperial based upon customer requirements.

I also have two pocket watches from each of my grandfathers and I also own a solar powered wrist watch since 2002.
Pierre

Back