Why waterjet? Why not OILjet?

Keep an eye on the auctions. There was one last fall that had two of them in it. Can't remember what price they for though.
I last saw the process in action back in the 90s - it was fascinating and a lot cheaper that CNCing out the shapes needed, and the tolerances they could hold were insane.

Yeah, definitely an item to pick up cheap at auction rather than try to engineer ones self. You definitely don't want to blow your thumbs off....

John

they use water-jets for cutting frozen meat products on the industrial level

there was an occasion that happened at a trade show where a spectator swiped his finger under the demonstration stream of cutting water, like he would a stream of water coming from the sink.
he lost a finger

Kind of off topic but interesting.
In an engineering department where I work, they were developing food processing water jets. The one I recall them working on was for pickles. The pickle would shoot down a tube like a gun barrel and pass through three jets that would cut the pickle into six wedges and pack them in a jar.
I see pickles in jars like that all the time and had never given a thought to how they were produced.

Another one they were working on was a chicken nugget slicer right off the chicken.

D

Dang, I'm flinching at that one just thinking about it and the time I stupidly put my hand in the way of the pressure washer @2400psi.
*CRINGE*
they use water-jets for cutting frozen meat products on the industrial level

there was an occasion that happened at a trade show where a spectator swiped his finger under the demonstration stream of cutting water, like he would a stream of water coming from the sink.
he lost a finger

Yes all kinds of food and even diapers are cut with water only.
We cut all kinds of crazy stuff with ours.
IT guys periodically give us old hard drives and we line them up, slice them in half before tossing them. Its weird they actually feel hot afterwards.

Just to back track a little I assume you saw the guy who build the waterjet out of a pressure washer? He was cutting aluminum up to maybe 1/8" using garrnet.
RWM

OK-Thinner maybe 1/16"

Last edited:
If you really want to use oil How about diesel fuel,it's very low viscosity, but does have some lubricating properties. You could also put together a couple of diesel fuel pumps they put out a pretty high pressure, and don't wear out very quickly.

If you really want to use oil How about diesel fuel,it's very low viscosity, but does have some lubricating properties. You could also put together a couple of diesel fuel pumps they put out a pretty high pressure, and don't wear out very quickly.
That's something I'll devote some time to investigate. Never thought of using diesel, or diesel injection pumps. I would rather use water than diesel (smell) but the diesel pump is a high pressure pump I never thought to look into. It seems it will not be so easy to get specs. I've briefly looked and did not see any flow/pressure data listed for any of the injection pumps that I pulled up from various websites. I assume flow will be very low and many pumps in parallel would be needed.

Just to back track a little I assume you saw the guy who build the waterjet out of a pressure washer? He was cutting aluminum up to maybe 1/8" using garrnet.
RWM

OK-Thinner maybe 1/16"
Yes I've seen that. It "works" but I would not consider that performance acceptable for what I want to build. I would consider the performance of the wazer to be just below bar for my taste. If I could get somewhere between wazer and an entry level industrial machine that would be perfect. This is why I have mostly ruled out pressure washer pumps. Maybe there is a way to modify a pressure washer pump to achieve 10k+PSI without risk life, thumbs, or testicles? If so I would gladly hear of it.

Reactions: rwm
Back