Why no small high-quality lathes?

Actually, there are still lathe makers in the US that make high quality lathes - Hardinge, Haas, Levin to name a few. You can have a good American lathe if you can handle the cost. For the lathes you are referring to, it would be more accurate to say North American retailers.

Your picture shows the face of the spindle itself. This is the structure that chucks mount to and is an integral part of the lathe's spindle.

I wanted to clarify my skepticism about the spindle. I own an Emco Super 11CD lathe. It has an MT5 spindle taper, a 1-3/8" spindle bore and has zero run out. My spindle is hardened, ground and balanced, and it has a D1-4 camlock chuck mount. It runs in Class P6 precision tapered roller bearings. Just the spindle, all by itself, would retail for more than your entire lathe costs. So now we see a Chinese lathe with nearly identical specs at a price point that is difficult to believe. Naturally, I am very curious to see how they pulled this off.

With regard to chucks, as I said, you will need to mount chucks to a back plate because there are no quality chucks that will directly fit your spindle. Your first task will be to find a back plate that fits or learn to make your own. Then you can look at chucks.

The other thing to keep in mind is that as long as your 3 jaw chuck holds the work piece solidly, it will work as well as a high end Rohm or Bison chuck will for first operation work. It may not last as long and may not be as consistent but in terms of hobby shop function, it should be fine. If you're talking about a 4 jaw, the same thing applies. Since a 4 jaw independent chuck is adjustable, I doubt you will see a large functional difference between an economy chuck and a high end 4 jaw chuck in a hobby shop. None of these cheap Chinese chucks would last long in a production shop running thousands of parts over many years but for a hobby guy, yeah, they're fine.

yes Mikey - i too was just trying to correct a misnomer - there are a lot of folk in this thread even referring to the precision matthews lathes as 'american' but most seem to be of chinese origin ...

thanks for the advice -yes - i'd been planning on running with the 3 jaw that came with it ... i figured eventually i will come up against it's shortcomings ... given the limitations of the gears and drive assembly (pot metal gears with poor shaft tolerances etc and a weak motor) i will have other fish to fry as well. But the proof as they say - is in the pudding ... maybe i can discover some mods or tweaks that will work out in the long run ... now that i have a machine i can start fabricating with ...

anyway- next step i guess is to figure out how to get my AXA QTCP to fit ... :p

Actually, there are still lathe makers in the US that make high quality lathes - Hardinge, Haas, Levin to name a few. You can have a good American lathe if you can handle the cost. For the lathes you are referring to, it would be more accurate to say North American retailers.
And don't forget Standard Modern. A very high quality 13x34 lathe is the smallest they make. Maybe that doesn't fit into the small lathe category?

Impressive! An 8" lathe for under $1000.00 with an MT5 spindle taper and a 1.5" spindle bore! And you say it has zero spindle run out? Even more impressive. I have to admit that I have never seen an Asian lathe with these features at this price level.

Specs like this ordinarily would require a heavy duty precision hardened and ground spindle running in Class P6 (or better) precision roller bearings; such an assembly alone would likely cost what your entire lathe cost. I'm not doubting you but I am wondering how they pulled it off.

With regard to the chuck, how does your chuck mount? If you tell me that this as a D1-camlock spindle then my jaw will officially hit the floor!

Some of the lower cost is probably because it's a change gear lathe, with a small selection of gears. Most of the 8" lathes I've seen at US retailers have at least a simple quick change gearbox. I think the larger spindle bore is a good tradeoff for the QCGB.

Some of the lower cost is probably because it's a change gear lathe, with a small selection of gears. Most of the 8" lathes I've seen at US retailers have at least a simple quick change gearbox. I think the larger spindle bore is a good tradeoff for the QCGB.

Really? Most of the 8" lathes I've seen are all change gear lathes. A QC gear box at this price level is rare, or am I missing something?

On the no US made mini-lathes thing, Sherline and Taig are US made. Kind of in a class if their own being smaller, more expensive and higher quality than the Chinese 7x mini's, but not even close to the $20,000+ price range of precision instrument lathes like Levin. I think the Levins are actually manufactured in Japan, not the US.

Really? Most of the 8" lathes I've seen are all change gear lathes. A QC gear box at this price level is rare, or am I missing something?

I haven't seen a lathe smaller than 9" with a QCGB either. Even without the large spindle bore $995 is a good price for an 8x16 lathe, that is $4 cheaper than Harbor Freight's 8x12, and HF is usually about as cheap as it gets. Most of the higher end 8x16s are $1200+.

I'm kind of surprised that none of the higher end importers (PM, DroPros, Little Machine Shop) haven't jumped on a large bore mini-lathe like this to set them apart from the other 8x16s.

i looked EVERYWHERE before buying mine - and it's the ONLY large bore mini i found - it was just a total fluke .... i was all prepared to spend 1300-2200 on something before i found this one ... but maybe they will gain popularity if someone figures out how to put one together on the cheap ...

I'm kind of surprised that none of the higher end importers (PM, DroPros, Little Machine Shop) haven't jumped on a large bore mini-lathe like this to set them apart from the other 8x16s.

Because there is a good deal more to it than just having a large spindle bore. It implies the lathe can handle larger work but it must also have the power, rigidity and speed to do it.

Caveat Emptor.

Because there is a good deal more to it than just having a large spindle bore. It implies the lathe can handle larger work but it must also have the power, rigidity and speed to do it.

Caveat Emptor.

True, it is quite possible that they are aware and have run screaming from the thought. o_O

Caveat Emptor.

will let you know how it goes without those things :D

Back